Menu
Danrrr
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Solihull Area 12 - Unreliable Service, Over utilisation?

I'm based in Solihull, Area 12 and have been getting intermittent broadband services for months now, with a constant dropping out of connection.

I've been through support and carried out all of the usual router resetting etc. countless times, and it always ends up being a network outage or issue with VM

I now call 0800 5610061 to check if there is a network issue in my postcode as the service status page only shows major outages (which isn't much use)

I now know that the problems are most probably more localised, but an issue with VM, not my equipment or configuration.

What i'd like to know is, is there a way of finding out if this is an over-utilisation issue? And if so, what is the likely outcome?

I'm self employed and work from home, like millions of others now, but the lack of reliable service is starting to hit me in the pocket now..

I pay for M350 Fibre Broadband, but i'd take a reliable 100mb connection any day

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Solihull Area 12 - Unreliable Service, Over utilisation?

Just to be clear - what is reported for you on the 0800 number? Try a pinhole reset first as per below. Re OU - if you set up a BQM it ought to be evident on that

Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. See if that sorts it.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Danrrr
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have carried out the pin hole reset a few times before, most recently 2 weeks ago.

I've just called the service status line again and it's now stating no issues for my postcode.

I have set up a Broadband Quality Monitor with TB today, so hope to start seeing some data coming through soon. Hopefully this will give me a clearer picture of what is going on, and i'll then share it on here if you wouldn't mind taking a look?

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, Danrrr,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connections issues with your broadband. I've run some remote diagnostics on your connections and it does indicate that you are currently being affected by a local area fault ref#F008896447 and we are working to get this sorted as quickly as possible. The current ETA fix time is 29 MAR 2021 14:00. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Corey C

0 Kudos