Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Solid yellow light on home hub 3.0.

Well then. Here's something new. Over the last few days, I've been having trouble with my media streaming via an Apple TV wifi'd back to the hub 3. It just kept stopping and buffering and buffering and stopping to the point where it was unusable. I tried repowering the Apple TV. I tried repowering the computer. No dice on either. Still doing the same. So that just left rebooting the hub 3, which as I previously commented is something that I hate doing because all my custom settings for SSID, router password, port forwarding rules etc are all lost whenever I have to do this. Reluctantly, I hit the switch and then went off to brew some coffee whilst the hub built up steam to start its gears grinding … When I returned, it had finished, and the light was still yellow 🤣

So I then set about the usual ritual of logging into the hub to put everything back as I want it. I entered the factory password from the bottom of the hub and guess what ?  "Wrong password" it tells me. Err, no it's not …  I put it in again. "Wrong password" … So I put in my 'normal' password. Boom ! We're in. Strange …  So I go to reset the SSID and whoa ! It's what it should be. I check my port forwarding rules. They're all still there.  Now I see elsewhere that people are referring to a recent software update to the hub. Could it be that this has fixed the problem of the hub forgetting all its settings, that came about as a result of a software update a couple of years ago ? This is the first time I have had to do a re-boot in several months. Could the fact that the white front light has turned yellow, be tied in with the update and the fact that the hub is now behaving again as it did when it was originally supplied ?

And as an added bonus, my media streaming was back to its normal smooth uninterrupted self 😀

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely brilliant post Arfa, 

Completely agree. In summary, yellow = fatigued, beyond-end-of-its-lifespan white. Where ever the hub supplier is sourcing their LED chipsets from its probably not a member of ZHAGA https://www.zhagastandard.org/ , the kind of sub-standard gear you might get busted by HMRC for importing if anybody bothered to inspect your container at Felixtowe...

More to the point - in the minds of Virgin Media Customer Service, Yellow therefore = White = your Hub is functioning perfectly...except - it is not! The only reason you, I , or anyone else has taken the remotest interest in whatever shade of the rainbow this light might be emmiting is because the hardware / broadband signal are NOT functioning as it should! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think it is definitely the LED itself decaying. As I sit here looking at it right now, it has degenerated from lemon curd to week-old tangerine ... Some time back, I refitted my kitchen and put white LEDs into the kick boards at floor level. I used decent Kingbrights from Farnell. They run 24/7 from a constant current supply that I knocked up and they are still as white and bright as the day I put them in. A few months back, I refitted the utility room and fitted LEDs to the kick boards in there as well. This time, I used some from the 'Bay. They lasted all of about 2 weeks before their intensity died to about a quarter of their original, and they all went from white to a dingy yellow. White LEDs are of course a native blue LED with a yellow phosphor coating, so I guess the white is a function of how well the native blue LED is irradiating the yellow phosphor. Eventually, I just ordered some more Kingbrights from Farnell and swapped them all out. These replacements have now been burning continuously for a couple of months with no noticeable degradation at all, so I guess that the moral of the story is pay cheap and get cheap ...

As a matter of interest, I no longer use my Hub 3 as my wifi router. I bought an Archer AC1750 dedicated router, and put the Hub 3 into modem mode, so it now serves just as the gateway to the Virgin network. The Archer is just so much better behaved and the user interface is much more straightforward to navigate and use. I never have any issues any more. Should have done it a long time ago really. Don't get me wrong. I have no beef with the Virgin network, or the service it provides me. I just don't think that the Hub3, as a router, is anything like as good as the previous hardware offerings.
0 Kudos