Menu
melissagent
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Solid red light on HUB 3

Hi all

We’re experiencing the issue of a solid red light on our hub, which has now been like that for 2 days.  Our HUB is quite old, it’s had a good life and I think it just wants to hang up it’s cables and check out!

We’ve tried all the recommended fixes and yesterday I spoke to the helpline and the operative agreed that there was an issue with the hub and an engineer appointment was booked.

The trouble is, the red light issue coincided with a network outage and our engineer appointment was put on hold whilst that was investigated. The network outage was resolved and our appointment was cancelled with no acknowledgement that there were two separate issues at play.

I called back today to say that the red light hub issue persists and that we clearly have an issue with our hardware. The call handler was unable to comprehend the issue and refused to devote from the standard script which offered no solutions to the actual issue. I was repeatedly informed that they couldn’t see any issue and they’ll monitor for 24 hours. It was so frustrating and we’re stuck for a solution.

Help!

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Solid red light on HUB 3

Phone up on 150 and tell them it is hot 😉

They should get it swapped out!

Overheating warnings are a bugbear of mine as if the hub isn't overheating then the hub is crying wolf and when it does overheat - you won't know and you could get a fire!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello @melissagent.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you have been having some issues with your Hub.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I can see you have called us today, can you tell me if things have improved since this call? 

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
melissagent
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I did that and she wasn’t having any of it!

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That's scary - if a hub needs an overheating indicator - it needs to be working!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

melissagent
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hailey

No, the situation hasn’t improved.

0 Kudos
melissagent
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hayley

No, the situation hasn’t improved.

the hub is reporting that it’s overheating by displaying the solid red light. That’s a hardware fault whether the red light is correct about over heating or not.  As Iotharmat said, either way, it’s a fire risk.

0 Kudos
melissagent
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know! 🤯

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The red LED is an overheating indicator.  If the hub is in a hot or poorly located situation, then the solution is to move it somewhere more open, turn it off, restart and hope the red LED has cleared.  This can work, and if it does, problem solved.

If that isn't the case, then because this is undoubtedly driven by a sensor on the CPU within the hub, it means that either that sensor is faulty, or the CPU is indeed overheating.  In either case the hub needs replacing because it isn't viable to undertake the complex task of fault finding and replacing solid state components soldered intro low value consumer goods.

If it CPU overheating, a probable cause is dislodgement of the heat sink, and the consequence of an overheating CPU is usually not a fire risk, because the CPU will usually be designed to throttle down performance, which would make it operate less reliably.  For some light use that might not show, but it would still be happening.  If the CPU doesn't throttle back, and the heat sink isn't doing what it is supposed to, its temperature can rise to levels that would damage the silicon, and could be a fire risk.

So there's no circumstances that you or any VM customer should tolerate a hub 3 displaying a red LED, any more than you'd tolerate your garage insisting that the tyre pressure warning light was nothing to worry about.  And if VM insist that it is nothing to worry about, you should consider contacting your local trading standards, and the Consumer's Association if you're a member.

One final amendment: In most cases, you wouldn't be able to tell if the hub was overheating from the outside - the issue here is that the board or CPU is getting hot because the heat it routinely generates isn't being properly dissipated by the heat sink.  So unless it actually did catch fire (again, a low risk, but still a risk) the heat output and surface temperature will remain normal for the Hub 3, that seems to be around 37-39 C.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

melissagent
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andrew-G

We’ve tried all those things and the hub is without doubt faulty.

I just need VM to take the matter seriously!

0 Kudos