cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid red light - hub 3

Sharpay77
Joining in

Hello. I've had a sold red light on my router for a few weeks. From what I've  read it suggests it's connection with the router. I've taken everything out and reconnected several times, turned it all off and back on and also done the 30 sec pinhole reset. The solid red light comes straight back on. The router is slightly warm but not hot. Connection and speeds throughout the house are poor and the VM connect app can't locate the router. Am I missing something or is there something else I can try, or is the router on its last legs. Any suggestions much appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whilst waiting for VM to respond here can you post up a photo of the red light - wondering if it may be more "orange" or "magenta" than red.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have exactly the same problem. I would describe it as red/magenta. 

Hugh 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sharpay77,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Hub!

A red light on a Hub can mean that there's an internal error with the Hub or that the Hub is overheating. If your Hub is warm to the touch or smells like burning, please unplug the Hub from the mains as this could be a potential fire hazard.

However, I can see that you've already been in touch with our team about this issue and have a technician appointment booked in to have this investigated further. Please let us know how your appointment goes and if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hughjude,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing a red light on your Hub as well! 

I've taken a look at our systems and I can see that you're impacted by a local SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) outage! The fault number is F010847461 and the currently estimated fix time is showing as 04/08/23 at 11:40am.

Please let us know if your red light issue is still ongoing after this local outage is resolved and we'll be more than happy to assist further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ralpher
Joining in

Hi, I have the same issue. You (and I) will need new routers as this is caused by overheating (I'm an IET Electrical engineer).

When a Virgin Media moderator comes on here, you can ask them to replace your (presumably) faulty router.

I'm assuming that the router is in an unobstructed place where it can "breath" etc...

As a precaution, I'd unplug the thing at night or if you leave the premises for a long period.

Incidentally, I use my router as a modem only, due to it's risible performance and yes, I can tell the difference between red and magenta.

Hi Ralpher 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting and welcoming you back onto our community forum 😊.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your router ☹.

Is your router warm to touch?

Is there any smoke coming off your router?

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Arissa, yes the router is warm but not hot. There is no smoke coming from it. I will unplug it at night but the router is clearly faulty. I've tried all the usual things mentioned on the forums (I'm an electrical engineer) but nothing helps.

Ive had issues with the internet lately so this rather looks like the issue.

Thanks.

Hi Ralpher,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've sent a PM your way so I can arrange for a new Hub to be installed.

Thank you

Beth

Hi Beth, thank you.