Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Smart plugs

I have a hub 3 which is supposed to automatically switch between 2.4 & 5.0. I’ve just got some smart plugs that work on 2.4 and they won’t connect. Hub 3 doesn’t seem to let me create a seperate 2.4 ssid. How can I fix my problem? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Smart plugs

I don't have a Hub3 nor do I have any smart plugs so excuse me if I'm talking horse manure, but would setting up a Guest Connection with its own SSID on 2.4 solve your problem?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What do you mean by ‘won’t let you’ create a 2.4GHz SSID?

By default, the Hub 3.0 has both a 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID - they just happen to be the same. Alter the name of the 5GHz SSID to separate them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have solved the problem with an answer from a older post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have changed the name of the 5 GHz SSID as suggested to help me set up a smart plug which needs the 2.4 GHz channel but when I apply the change it rejects the current wi fi password stating that it should not be the same as the guest network , elsewhere somebody said you can keep the same password . The current security key is the one that came with the hub 3 . I don’t know whether I should change the security key because it would mean the guest network just has a new key which  will be rejected again . 
Any advice would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi ks38,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forum and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to read that you've been having issues with your broadband service. Have you managed to get this resolved with our team or is it still on going?

Drop us a response and either I, or one of my colleagues will be happy to pick it up for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi David and thanks for picking up my post. So far nobody has come back to me so any advice would be welcome. 
From what I can see on the internet nobody makes smart plugs that work on 5ghtz and because the Hub3 transmits both frequencies smart plugs won’t work on the Virgin hub. There doesn’t seem to be any formal guidance from Virgin which is poor given the increasing popularity of smart gadgets. Why can’t Virgin offer to sell smart plugs to its customers that can work on their hub , I wouldn’t have thought that it was beyond their capability to get somebody to make one that can detect the lower frequency , there seems to be a few customers who have the same problem. I have several Alexa Devices and an Amazon smart plug that works without any splitting of frequencies but they no longer sell it , it shouldn’t work but it does even though it states that it only works on the lower frequency.

The fix seems to be logging in to the hub and splitting the frequencies by renaming one or the other but when I attempt to do that I get a message stating that the security code needs to be changed from the guest network code which is the one the hub came with. I need to know what this means and how to do it. I have multiple users of the internet in my house and I don’t want to have to reset all the passwords in the numerous devices that log in to the hub.

with thanks

keith

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

having the SSID with the same name will not stop a 2.4ghz only device from working.
Simple really a 2.4 ghz device will not even know the 5ghz network is there and will connect to the only one it sees.

There is no reason why smart devices would work.

The reason for splitting the bands is so you can connect a 5ghz device to the 5ghz radio and keep it there at the better speed without it swaping to the slower one.

If the device can't see both it will connect and have nothing to switch to

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the clarification, I will try another brand of plug ,despite numerous attempts the   
the TP link plug I bought will not connect so it’s going back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Posting this in the hope that it helps anyone in a similar situation.

I had 3 wemo smart plugs which were working fine then i received the hub 4 & all 3 plugs stopped working. No matter what i tried (from googling) 

It wouldn't work, then i noticed the wemo app on my phone was showing the message "unknown ssid". when it tried to connect to the hub

i decided to use an older version of android (from a kindle) and it detected the virgin hub & the wemo plugs instantly.

0 Kudos