Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Smart Devices

Im trying to connect a camera to the VM hub 3. The device can only use a 2.4Ghz connection, and claims it can see it. But the device can't connect.

I had the same issue with a smart plug recently that I just sent back. I've got a temporary fix because we've got a second router to extend the signal to the shed that only does 2.4Ghz. But I want it on the hub because that's the network with the smart speaker attached.

Any ideas why the hub refuses the connection?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart Devices

You need to go into the settings on the hub and split the SSID names to be different for each band, like xxx-2 and xxx-5. Then connect to the xxx-2 band. A lot of 2.4Ghz devices do not like having both bands on the one SSID name.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok, follow up question. Are the 2.4 and 5 GHz connections on the same network, in the sense of can a device on the 2.4Ghz be seen on the 5Ghz network?

Things like phones and laptops tend to default to the 5Ghz band because it's quicker, but the things that I might want them to talk to - cameras, Echo, printer, etc are usually 2.4Ghz only. If I split the SSIDs, am I creating a second network, or just a second connection point?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's just one network, regardless of the band that they connect on. 

Just to be clear, it's not the 2.4GHz only devices that get confused over the 5GHz issue. They can't try to switch because they don't even know that 5GHz exists.

It's a fault with the router that tries to switch them to a band that they can't use. Separating the SSIDs stops the router from trying this. . 

0 Kudos