Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slower speed and loss of wi-fi in other room

I do give credit when it is due, but when it's bad I complain, and on this occasion it is a complaint.

On Saturday evening I had a new 3.0 hub fitted with all that went with it. Previous one was a 2ac. The engineers were excellent.

Downloaded the Connect app, checked bedroom WI-FI, very poor, told to order the booster, which is free to me. Back on the app, and eventually told the usual, Ooops we have a problem!

Now I have to add at this stage, that I find that in general my signal is worse than I had before, signal in bedroom, is very bad now, whereas before it was okish. I was able to use an i-pad, now it's nigh on impossible.

Unless anybody can help, I think I have made a mistake, unfortunately I have just signed up for another 18 month contract.

Any comments, or help please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slower speed and loss of wi-fi in other room

VM don't support wireless only by wire so if you think you can do better get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports or mesh and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I do not think that this is much of an answer, and certainly not helpful.

I wrote earlier tonight, in the Forum, that I had used the Virgin Connect app, checked the signal for the bedroom, and it was poor, so advised to ask for a booster.

I tried to do so but got the usual message "Oooops something is wrong"

So spent an hour on the phone to no avail.

I am sorry that I changed Hub's and should have listened to friends who advised against this move!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Call it in at 08.00 for the best chance of getting through.

The best solution as legacy1 said is to consider getting your own better quality wifi equipment ?

However, as the boosters are "free" to you they are worth a try. There are also some tweaks you can do to the Hub3 settings that might help the wifi performance - they do for some people. That is, disable "channel optimisation & rename/separate the 2.4/5 GHz network SSID's in the Hub's settings pages..

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I suppose both of these messages are helpful, if you can understand what the 2 answers mean, I don't, so I am no further on.

I am going to try the text message service, maybe I will get a result there for my "booster".

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This might be more understandable.

If the text or call doesn't work a VM person ought to pick this request up here - it can take several days for them to get to these threads though, so keep checking back.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have sent a text, so I will see what happens, if some helpful person from the Forum picks this up, good.

Thanks again

0 Kudos