Menu
lukemb64
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow wifi

Hi there, I pay for 100mbps but for a few weeks have been getting between 30-75mbps.

I have tried rebooting the Hub 3. I have various devices in the house, Hue lights by ethernet cable, google speakers, 2 computers and phone etc (about 8/9 in all on wifi) and I have tried rebooting all of them to clear the caches.

I had slower speeds before with exactly the same setup and rebooting everything solved it. This time it did not.

I have tried my laptop plugged direct into the router with an ethernet cable and I get 100mbps so it seems the problem is wifi in my house and not the speeds from Virgin.

I have tried connecting by wifi from right next to the router and the speeds are still 30-75mbps. So maybe it is an issue with the Hub or devices in the house?

The Hub is in an open space and wifi has been fine in the past with the position it is in and with the same devices and set up. Channel optimisation is enabled.

Any ideas of what else I could try? Could it be something to do with the router or its settings?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi

The 100Mbps you pay for apply to wired speeds only.

Make sure your device is 5Ghz compatible as you’ll get slower speeds on the 2.4Ghz band 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
lukemb64
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi

Thanks Gary. Yes my devices are 5ghz compatible. I'm really sorry for wasting peoples' time, totally forgot to try obvious factory reset on the hub and that worked, back to 100 mb on wifi. Many apologies.

0 Kudos