cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds in modem mode

aidy06
On our wavelength

Hi,

my current setup is SH3 in modem mode and Deco M9 wired to it and then 2 more M9’s split over 2 floors of my house that connect to the main Deco via Wi-Fi. I’ve had this setup for 3 years and it’s been fine, full speeds all over the house.

Recently I’ve been getting half my speed, if I wire directly to the main M9 I get full speed so it’s something to do after that. I’ve also just upgraded to M500 and currently on a speedtest over Wi-Fi I’m getting around 260Mbps, on a wired speedtest I get the speeds I should be getting.

Can anybody help with this setup please? If I remove the M9’s and put the SH3 back in to router mode the speeds are great when next to it but they don’t cover the whole house so really reluctant to remove the M9’s at this point.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If your getting full speed by wire to a M9 then the hub is not the problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------

g0akc
Problem sorter

@aidy06 wrote:

Recently I’ve been getting half my speed, if I wire directly to the main M9 I get full speed so it’s something to do after that. I’ve also just upgraded to M500 and currently on a speedtest over Wi-Fi I’m getting around 260Mbps, on a wired speedtest I get the speeds I should be getting.

What speed were you getting before the upgrade to M500?  Were you getting more than 260?

Are your devices using 2.4GHz or 5GHz ?   Try 5GHz.

Try using a free wifi analyser app to see what is going on.  Try changing wireless channels (I'm not sure if the deco app allows you to do anything like that/change such settings?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
I'd say something has changed in your house. Like a relay M9 has moved slightly - enough not to be as effective in receiving source signal as before. I take it that the first M9 gives full WiFi soeed.

The WiFi analyser suggestion is totally valid. Interpreting the RSSI values could be helped by this wonderful article:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/UNDERSTANDING-KEY-ASPECTS-OF-WiFi/td-p/3870...

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)