Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Slow second wifi: Super Hub Downstairs, ethernet upstairs, then a switch, then another wifi router.

Hi All, 

We have a Super Hub 3 downstairs, ethernet running up the stairs to our loft, then in to a switch. Wired connections get 349mbs no issues.

But I would like wireless upstairs, so I plugged in a wifi router to the switch, into one of the ports on the switch.

Wifi download up here is 32mbs down and 32mb up.

As opposed to 329mb down wired and 32mb up wired.

What am I doing wrong? Will the wifi router be causing issues with the IP settings and the network? Or causing conflicts?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow second wifi: Super Hub Downstairs, ethernet upstairs, then a switch, then another wifi router.

What router did plug in - make and model?

You also need to run it in AP/Bridge mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow second wifi: Super Hub Downstairs, ethernet upstairs, then a switch, then another wifi router.

Thank you, I just looked in the internet settings and it seems it does AP mode. So does this mean it acts like a sub router? ANd so doesn't setup a DHCP network etc?

Is this why its operating at a slower speed? 

The device is a TENDA 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Switched it to AP mode and getting these speeds, a little faster but nowhere near 320mb of the wired connection? 

https://share.getcloudapp.com/L1uQRLQJ

ANything else I could try?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What’s the model number?

Are you connecting to the SSID of the AP or that of the hub? Or are they different SSID’s?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Two different SSIDs

Connecting to the SSID upstairs AP now

MOdel is Tenda F3

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It’s a cheap Wireless N router meaning it broadcasts in the 2.4Ghz band only.

So the speed is probably about right for that. 

Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure the F3 is a single band router (2.4) you will never get good speed from that.

Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, 2 x Asus AX56 MESH
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@futureisvegan wrote:

Two different SSIDs.  Connecting to the SSID upstairs AP now.  MOdel is Tenda F3

That model also has only 100mb ports, as well as older wifi standards.  You should get a proper Access Point as you already have a wired backhaul and switch. A decent one should be around £70 or so.   Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Gigabit-Controller-Software-EAP225/dp/B01LRQW0GM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=...

Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the advice really useful to learn this stuff.

The Tenda Router I bought was "Tenda F3 300Mbps Wireless Router, Easy Setup, Parental Control, Bandwidth Control, Wi-Fi Schedule, with 3 External Antenna"

Isn't it a bit misleading that the product says 300Mbps but it won't do higher than 60mbs?

0 Kudos