Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow ports on new SH3

I have recently had a SH3 installed on the M100 plan.  Using the Wifi is great with speedtest.net reporting around 95Mb down.  However I have tried to use the wired ports on the router and found that its only pushing out around 20-25Mb per port, even when I plug directly into the SH3 my pi is only getting that speed reported.

While these may not be GB ports on my equipment they will be 10/100 using a short new 1m cat5 cable.  So there is something strange here?  Are there some port restrictions?  I assume all the ports were GB ethernet ports.  Is the SH3 a dud?

point of note the install engineer didnt leave me with a cat 6 cable

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow ports on new SH3

How have you proven its not your pi? 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Similar speeds on my desktop at other end of the longer cable to another room, just far easier to try the Pi inthe SH3 than move the PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would first ditch the Cat5 cable - must be 20 years old 🙂 Try a new Xat5e one or Cat6/7 for imprved shielding. Then check speeds on the PC (and the Pi if it works the same) like this.....

-----------------
Connect the device, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cable, directly to the Hub but which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Then test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - also try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again as above.

This is because there are are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well would have been easier if engineer had left me the cable as supposed to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Didn't you ask for one.
In any case they are cheap, so if you are still using a Cat5 one its time you splashed out a few quid for a couple of new ones (Cat5e is cheapest!) and retire the antique. Will be quicker than VM getting one to you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I had expected him to leave one but I wasn't closely interacting as I'm shielding so was letting my distance. However I've ordered some cat6 cables. So will try then once Amazon for them off.

However, even with the existing cat5 cables they should be capable of handling up to100mb - they were new and short cables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK lets see when they arrive. Cat5 cables are indeed capable of 100Mbps - as long as they havent "failed" due to old age. I have had several do that particularly the stranded (not solid) core ones - or with a connection snapping on the connector. But as yours were new (do they still make them? Why?) they should be fine.

So in the meantime - did you run the speedtests as I asked - if so what were the results in safe mode? It could be your device(s) are being limited by something - I have a list of >30 posts on here where that has turned out to be the cause.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

100M use two pairs of an Ethernet cable, 1G uses all four pairs. Usually if it’s 1G device and only getting 100M it’s due to a broken wire. If it’s running at 100M all I have ever seen is that it either works or not, never seen speed reduced except over a very long distance. I normally use solid cable so with stranded cable there may be a difference.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2