Menu
coth
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet and self-test

Hey all,

I'm getting sub 15 meg on average (yes, over WiFi, but it's close to the router and I've had way higher download rates in the past) and I tried the support option in the VM app.  I see this as the result of the test.  What does it mean and is anyone actually doing anything about it?  Obviously I could spend an hour on hold but we're supposed to be avoiding using call centres, right?

Screenshot_20210116-183208.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet and self-test

What is your connection like using ethernet cable ?

May I suggest that you download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals and where there are poor signal strengths..

From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
coth
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  On a comparing "apples with apples" basis, after rebooting all devices and using the same speed test application, and in the same physical location, would you not agree that if I have had much higher speeds in the past then my method of testing might not reveal the actual "to router" speed but it's useful as a comparison?

TLDR This an an out of the ordinary situation.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand what you mean.

All I am trying to do is get a picture of your WAN & LAN setup.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@coth wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  On a comparing "apples with apples" basis, after rebooting all devices and using the same speed test application, and in the same physical location, would you not agree that if I have had much higher speeds in the past then my method of testing might not reveal the actual "to router" speed but it's useful as a comparison?

TLDR This an an out of the ordinary situation.

It’s not unusual or out of the ordinary at all.

To confirm you’re getting your “correct” speeds you’ll need to use a wired connection.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos