Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet / Connections dropping

Hello everyone.

I live in a shared house (12 people total) all connecting to the same router or wifi extender. Recently a few people working from home started complaining about slow internet speed, to which I'm trying to resolve on behalf of my landlord.

I have noticed a few odd things.

- Firstly, pinging the router, whether connected directly to it or through the wifi extender, gives me pings higher than they should be. While most of them are between 10-20ms, i get the occasional 100+ every 5/10 pings. While connected directly to router, i was standing right next to it pinging from  my phone. While it's been a long time since I've had to go into networking, i remember pinging your own router used to be no more than some 5ms?

- Secondly, connection drops while connected to wifi extender. I havent been able to test it while connected directly to router as im using a PC and not a laptop, and generally its only for a minute or two. The problem is that sometimes it happens around 5 times a day during the day.

As for fixes, I have tried the following:

- Reboot the router & extender

- Unplug the router & extender for a few minutes and plug them back in

- Change of channel (tried channel 1, 6 and 9). I'm using NetSpot to see which channels are being used nearby, and there are none on channel 6 and 9

Screenshots of upstream/downstreams:

Downstream 1 

Downstream 2 

Upstream 

General Configuration 

Network log pastebin 

Any other ideas on possible fixes?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet / Connections dropping

Think of your broadband as mains water coming into your house and the fire brigade connect 10 hoses to the local water mains.

If they don't squirt water you can have a decent shower, if they start squirting the shower flow decreases, add a few more fire engines squirting water and your shower reduces to a dribble and the flow from each fire hose goes down as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You need a more powerful source of Wi-Fi.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

You need a more powerful source of Wi-Fi.

meaning a better router with better wifi or a better speed plan?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need a good Router or Mesh System on the LAN side of the VM Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

make sense i suppose. On a side note, can Virgin Media tech support access the router or reset router password? After my call with them yesterday it only got worse and now I cant even access the router unless I reset it
0 Kudos