Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speed 100M broadband

Good day,

I would like to resolve the problem with my slow connection and download speed on my broadband service M100. I recently upgraded my plan to include a faster internet connection but the download speed is staying the same. I received a confirmation that the upgraded service is already up so I tried to test it.

For a while, my download speed was reaching around 100mbps on the speed test but the download speed remained on 1,2 MBps maximum, same as before the upgrade. I tried this on other machines and the result was the same. I tried to connect via the cable and I tried to reset the router after which my speed fell down even further.

Can you please advise me on how to solve this issue?

connection 3.PNGconnection 2.PNGconnection 1.PNGconnection 9.PNGconnection 8.PNGconnection 7.PNGconnection 6.PNGconnection 5.PNGconnection 4.PNG

Thank you for your support! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow download speed 100M broadband

What speeds are you getting with a wired connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gary,

Even on a wired connection download speed does not exceed 1.2MBps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mike,

Thank for these instructions but I have already tried that as I found a recommendation for this procedure on another forum.

After I followed these steps, download speed for everything remained the same 1.2MBps but when I tried to run the speed test (ran internet speed test by Ookla) it went down. Before the router reset the speed test showed download always around 110mbps but now it never goes higher than 12mbps.

Again, whenever I tried to download a file, it states roughly the same at 1.2MBps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We need to determine whether the problem is on the WAN side or LAN side.

Try a different ethernet cable between the Hub and your device.

then

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I tried to get different cables, both are CAT 5E, one is blue and one white (not sure what it means, sorry) On white one the speed test did not go above 10mbps and on blue one I managed to reach 110mpbs but when I tried to download a file, download speed did not exceed 1.2MBps.

I'm on laptop Win10 (GE63 Raider RGB 8SF - MSI), on other networks I have no troubles reaching higher download speeds, there is no other device connected atm to the hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So I tried to run the test again, download speed went down on cable from 110mbps to only 4,74mpbs.

It is weird as whenever I try to download anything, speed is constant on 1.2MBps 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Erik5820,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you haven't been getting the speeds you expect.

I have had a look at things our end and cannot see any issues at all, your levels are all where we expect them to be, if you are still not happy I advise you to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. please run this for 72 hours and post the results here so we can have a further look into this for you.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos