Menu
TobyTyler77
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi speed on 2.4ghz.

I'm on 200mbps Contract, on my 5ghz WiFi Bandwidth I achieve speeds of between 140/212 mbps, but on my 2.4ghz WiFi Bandwidth I can only achieve maximum 72 mbps but it's nearly always only between 40/50 mbps, is it possible to get higher mbps on the 2.4ghz WiFi. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow WiFi speed on 2.4ghz.

Nope it's not, 2.4GHz allows for a greater range than 5GHz but a far slower speed. Even if you were standing next to the Hub you're unlikely to achieve anything much higher than that over 2.4GHz.
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I take it the 72mbps is showing on the device and not through a speed check site.
72 Mbps the max LINK speed of a single wireless channel, real world speed of around 40 -50 Mbps.
So if you have a single stream client, your speed is about good as it gets on the 2.4GHz band.

jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot, next to the router, if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi TobyTyler77,

Thank you for getting in touch , I'm sorry to hear about any issues you've had with your wifi services.

There are some great answers already from our community members, so I won't repeat what they've said. However, I'd just like to direct you to our WiFi Wins in case there are any tips here which allow you to improve the range or speed of your wireless connection.

Thanks,

Rachael