Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi on laptops but not phones

Hi

Paying for the 350mbps plan

Been having massive problems for a few months now, been in contact with virgin 20+ time and have awful service, countless promised call backs that never happen. Had 4 engineers out who can't seem to fix the problems.

The main problem is that 2 separate laptops are getting a awful WiFi signal anywhere in the house even close to the router even with a booster, where as my phone is receiving a pretty good connecting of around 180mbps close to the router. I've checked to see if any apps are interfering with the WiFi on the laptops but nothing is, one laptop is brand new and has a decent WiFi card and still only gets around 40mbps.

Any help would be amazing.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow WiFi on laptops but not phones

40mb would suggest you haven't got a decent wifi card or for some reason the drivers are bad.  40mb is speeds you would expect from 2.4ghz not 5ghz wireless AC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay I'll check the drivers as the WiFi card is good, but it's weird its happening on multiple laptops I'm sure they can't all have problems 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I guess a simple test would be to split the SSIDs so you know what frequency your testinf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How would I do that? Thanks for helping by the way 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos