Menu
RichBristol
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds

I’m getting pretty slow speeds on my work iPad in my office. WiFi connection is good but when I run a speed test it suggests my provider is SoftLayer. When I run the same test on my phone in the same location it is Virgin Media and is twice as quick! 

Please help as I can’t bear any more interrupted Teams meetings!!

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds

do you get the same results if you search "what is my IP" from both devices at google? (don't paste the info back here, just wondering if they are the same..)

If not, then either your iPad is connected to a different WiFi network, or a cell network, or you have a VPN active...

RichBristol
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding tehwolf!! They’re definitely on the same WiFi network but the IP addresses I get back from Google as you suggested doing are different. Could this be to do it being a VPN on my work device? Would this potentially have an impact on the slow speeds and poor video calling then, even though my broadband speeds I’m paying for should be super fast fibre?! 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes VPN’s will slow things down. 

The “speeds you pay for” apply to wired speeds only not wireless. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@RichBristol wrote:

Thanks for responding tehwolf!! They’re definitely on the same WiFi network but the IP addresses I get back from Google as you suggested doing are different. Could this be to do it being a VPN on my work device? Would this potentially have an impact on the slow speeds and poor video calling then, even though my broadband speeds I’m paying for should be super fast fibre?! 

It could be, yes. Your works vpn may not have much available bandwidth ( obviously nothing to do with VM) which would impact speed etc. 

RichBristol
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! I’ll get on to IT support on Monday then!! 

0 Kudos
RichBristol
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@RichBristol wrote:

Thank you! I’ll get on to IT support on Monday then!! 

Theres little they’ll be able to do. VPN’s are usually restrictive in speed and it also depends where the VPN server you’re connecting to is located geographically. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos