cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet through hub 4

Eddie12341
Tuning in

had 1 gig installed yesterday

getting 1128 mbps to the hub4 however only getting consistent 150 mbps through any Ethernet ports

New confirmed good cables are the same.  Connects directly to the hub the same.  Every device tested provides the same 150 mbs Ethernet connection

multiple notebooks tested and confirmed that peer to peer they received 1 gig Ethernet connection so this rules out windows and the cables.  150mbs on pc, Mac, Xbox (2 versions)  and PlayStations.  Cat 5e and cat6 cables tested

warm reset hub   Hard reset hub. The same 150 mbs Ethernet connection. Don’t think it’s a cable issue because getting full speed to the hub so I’m thinking a potential hub problem 

also I signed up for 1 gig. I believe I should have received a hub 5 as these are the standard with 1 gig connections from the 1st September

34 REPLIES 34

I have a hub 3, done pretty much all the same tests as yourself and I too am having the same issues as you when connecting via ethernet.

Connection is fine via wifi.

Definitely  a problem with virgin

Thanks for the information @Eddie12341,

I have sent you a private message which you can access via the purple envelope to the top right.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi. Can you post the resolution here, rather than just end the thread with a PM? I am getting exactly the same issue, and I’m guessing that other people here arriving via google would appreciate it!

Client62
Legend

This has all the hallmarks of a Hub with defective network ports.
Most likely a replacement Hub would resolve this issue.

Hi @wumfi thanks for your post here and sorry you're having issues with your Hub.

It could be a faulty Hub but we can only determine once we've ran further checks, and unfortunately I've been unable to at the time of writing.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can obtain some more info from you, kindly expect this to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks. I’ve replied on PM.

Once/if I get this resolved, I’ll come back to this thread to post the outcome, so that it may help others. Nothing more frustrating than finding a perfect thread, and then being left hanging!

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Eddie12341 thanks for your reply 😊

I'm just coming back publicly for the moment - I've ran checks and all the diagnostics to your Hub are running fine and well, and your speeds from our side are not showing any issues.

Can you please run a further speed test via ethernet here and let us know how you get on please?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Mhillis
Joining in

I am having the exact same issue. I just recently paid for a full rewire plus 8 Ethernet ports through my home, it was not cheap, only to find out my wifi is running 3x the speed of the Ethernet!? This is beyond a joke! I first thought my electricians installed faulty cat5e, I was about to go through them but luckily decided to plug in direct to the back of the hub and found it was the hub sending slow Ethernet. I pay for 500mb, I get 550mb on Wi-Fi but only 180mb through Ethernet. It makes no sense? I will be contacting virgin today to see about a hub replacement but doesn’t sound like that will fix things reading this thread. Luckily my area recently installed city fibre so I now have choices to leave virgin. I’ve seen 1gig Ethernet deals for half the price of virgin, hopefully their routers don’t cap speeds like virgin

Hey Mhillis,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection at the moment, I have looked into this and there are some issues with your upstream and downstream power levels that will need a technician visit to resolve.  I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

@wumfi wrote:

Thanks. I’ve replied on PM.

Once/if I get this resolved, I’ll come back to this thread to post the outcome, so that it may help others. Nothing more frustrating than finding a perfect thread, and then being left hanging!

Some irony in this post eh?..