cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Ethernet through hub 4

Eddie12341
Tuning in

had 1 gig installed yesterday

getting 1128 mbps to the hub4 however only getting consistent 150 mbps through any Ethernet ports

New confirmed good cables are the same.  Connects directly to the hub the same.  Every device tested provides the same 150 mbs Ethernet connection

multiple notebooks tested and confirmed that peer to peer they received 1 gig Ethernet connection so this rules out windows and the cables.  150mbs on pc, Mac, Xbox (2 versions)  and PlayStations.  Cat 5e and cat6 cables tested

warm reset hub   Hard reset hub. The same 150 mbs Ethernet connection. Don’t think it’s a cable issue because getting full speed to the hub so I’m thinking a potential hub problem 

also I signed up for 1 gig. I believe I should have received a hub 5 as these are the standard with 1 gig connections from the 1st September

34 REPLIES 34

This is the speed test using the computers 1gig Ethernet port. Connected directly to the hub. Hub set to modem mode. 1 Ethernet cable attached to the hub and nothing else

To answer your question I was originally using cat 5e cables. I then purchased brand new cat 6 cables but it hasn’t made any difference 

i have now ruled out the computer by using multiple systems and devices including games consoles which also max out at the exact same speed.

i have tested 3 different computers even getting a Mac  book to rule out windows which all max out at the exact same speed connected directly to the hub in modem mode  1 Ethernet connection from the hub to the computer 

I have tried in safe mode with networking with the hub in modem mode with the same results

i have ruled out the cables by swapping the cat 5e ones  I was using with brand new cat 6 cables - even a new one supplied by the engineer today and they all max out at the same speed

and I have ruled out the Ethernet port on 2 systems by using a usb3 to gigabit adapter which gave a little better results but still now where where they should be

it looks like the engineer washed his hands of it because there’s no wifi issues and the speed to hub is fine.  However there is absolutely no explanation for why the Ethernet ports max out at the same speed on all devices even in modem mode and connected directly to the hub

and yes I can see why it would be thought that this might be windows that’s causing it but this is even on non windows devices and they are all maxing out at around 155mbps

in fact the engineer even advised as long as the speed to the hub doesn’t fall below 750 then don’t worry about it…..which really isn’t helpful when I’m only getting. 10% of what the speed should be between the hub and anything i connect to the hub

But there is clearly an issue somewhere that isn’t the cabling because there’s nothing else connected and different cables are being used….It isn’t the system because it’s different systems and devices… it isn’t even the Ethernet port because I’ve ruled that out as well by using a usb3 to gigabit adapter ..::it isn’t OS related because it’s both windows and non windows devices…..it isn’t something else in the network because I’ve connected only one device to the hub in modem mode…

i would understand if the speeds fluctuated between devices… I would understand if one device got the expected speed and the others didn’t….I would understand if the hub was connected to a whole network and worked when connected directly to the system

what I don’t get is why every single device attached to the hub gets almost the exact same speed through any Ethernet cable and any port on the hub regardless if the hub is in modem or router mode and regardless of the device connected

to be honest if I wanted 155 mbps Ethernet network connection to the internet I would have bought a 155 mbps package and to say yeah you’re getting full speed to the hub so there’s not a problem like the engineer said this morning  isn’t really good enough when I can’t use it…

.to put it in context it would be like buying a bottle of wine at a restaurant and then only being able to get a 10th of a glass and the waiter taking it away saying yeah well we supplied a full bottle so there’s not a problem of you want more you need to buy another bottle..

the only plausible explanation is that the hub is limiting the Ethernet speed somehow…the results across maybe 8 devices I have had connected at various times all maxing out at the exact same speed are far too consistent for it to be anything else…in fact when I was in chat before the engineer was booked they couldn’t even see anything connected to the Ethernet. In modem mode if I go into the router information it shows 0 Ethernet connections even with a device connected to the hub

33234C5B-8951-440D-82B3-40331F440099.jpeg

Thanks for the info and screenshots @Eddie12341,

Can you now disconnect the Ethernet cable from the device and connect to the hub via WiFi, then run another SamKnows speedtest and share the result here?

Can you also let us know if you have tried other Ethernet ports on the hub, or have all the tests been on the same one?

Thanks,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Wifi results are fine. On wifi 5 I wouldn’t expect much more 

074D564B-EDD7-42EB-A985-47245D723D6D.jpeg

all 4 ports on the hub show the exact same whether in router mode or modem  mode. Always 155mbps. Tested in 2 different browsers with the same results. Different speed tests give the same results. Sam knows….ookla….fast.com  all return the exact same speeds….even tried google dns server to test and the results are the same

i have now tried more brand new cables this time cat 7….direct to the hub. One Ethernet connection only between the device tested and the hub. Everything else disconnected. Router and modem mode. so there is absolutely no earthly way dozens of cables are all faulty. To recap  my old cat 5e cables were tested first. Then brand new cat 6 cables tested. Then the engineers own cable.  Then brand new cat 7 cables

its not windows because the exact same download speeds are received on non windows systems and devices.  Mac book tested. 3 different notebooks.  PS4 ps5  Xbox one  and Xbox one x  and all have the exact same 155 mbps speed through Ethernet

The Ethernet ports themselves have been ruled out because I’ve used a usb 3 to gigabit network port dongle. Between the devices I get 1gig using the same cables so it’s 100% not the Ethernet ports

it’s not anything on my network  because the only thing connected to the hub is the device and it’s been tested both in router and modem modes and anyway on my network between devices I get 1 gig network

Every device I connect shows it’s a 1gig green led connection on the network port 

there is literally nothing else I can test and the only thing not ruled out is the hub itself. The device network led shows a 1 gig connection between the device and hub. But it’s just not getting 1 gig sent to it. the only explanation I have is that the hub is limiting the data speed on Ethernet when every single device is getting almost exactly the same speed pushed to it. Either that or the network ports in the hub ….one or all of them… is faulty causing a limit of 155 mbps…  Factory reset hasn’t helped. I understand the engineers box showed 1 gig connection. but then so do my Ethernet ports when I look at the connection led but there just isn’t 1 gig been sent from the hun…..not even once on any device at all….the closest to 1 gig through Ethernet I have had is 200 mbps on a couple of teste

i am at a total loss here

Actually came across an interesting post in one of the 500+ threads about slow Ethernet here…..symptoms are pretty much identical 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Hub4-sudden-drop-from-1-1Gb-to-94Mb-in-download/td-p/4961...

could this be the problem ????? Although concerning this post was in June advising a proper fix in August 

7DDAE07F-404C-4B9F-A9AB-6F9A8E4A1BB0.jpeg
maybe since it’s been confirmed in June there is an issue with Ethernet speeds I should my bill reduced to £6 a month Due to the issue that you have confirmed I can only use 10% of the connection you provide to the hub ????

or better still just provide me with the resolution  

@Eddie12341 wrote:

E84F9D2E-9F67-445C-BE6D-4C564D603DA8.jpeg

You can see your download latency is high meaning something is limiting your speed as a single queue buffer it maybe something beyond the hub it may be a DDoS over many IP bring the speed down under a HFQ type QoS/BWM the speed to hub is a lie in that we really don't know how VM have implemented it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nah that wouldnt explain why wifi is 4 times faster than Ethernet

Or maybe a rate limiter for IP's other the the hubs LAN subnet has a set egress limit per port and VM have inputted the number with one less 0?

• Ok this is 100% a virgin/hub issue

i reset the hub using 60 second pin hole reset  

I connect a device to the hub  it gives me the exact same 155mbps download

i reset the hub and put it in modem mode

i connect a 1 gig switch to the router in modem mode. 

i connect 1 device to the switch

it gives me 2 tests at 1 gig/ps

third test ….155 mbps

i then reset it again left it in router mode….. I get 155 mbps device connected direct to the router.  I reset the router again. 

left it in router mode

Connected my 1 gig switch. Connect one device to the switch. I get 1 gig/ps for a couple of tests. And then it drops back down to the same 155 mbps

this is obviously the hub that is limiting the Ethernet throughput 

virgin. As per my post above you have confirmed in June there is an issue affecting ethernet speeds. Provide me with a resolution now please or have someone contact me regarding cancellation within my 14 days 

Try the following in router mode have a PC by wire download a 10GB file and check speed in task manager then on another PC by wire on another port to the hub download the same file check if both download at the same speed same time.

Speedtest Files | IP-Toolbox.com

Downloading 10 gig test file ….why am I not shocked to see 158 mbps 

I think that by the first two tests immediately after resetting the hub returning a 1 gig speed tsst before going back to 155 mbps after a couple of minutes not only once but multiple times has just proven that it’s the hub starting off fine and providing a full ethernet speed but then flicking over and limiting the speed after a few minutes and it’s always the exact same speed give or take a couple of mbps  it NEVER differs 

Might be getting 1 gig to the hub but nowhere in virgins documentation does it say it will be limited from the hub at 155 mbps and you have already confirmed there is an issue with limited ethernet speed in June….therefore you are not providing the service I am paying for….send an engineer to resolve it….send me a resolution….reduce my bill by 90% to reflect the 90% reduction of service until you do provide a resolution or get someone to contact me regard cancellation with 14 days for not providing the paid for service.  I await your response

FD024551-3B9B-4EF9-BCC1-0CF763E97D5F.jpeg