Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband Speeds & Poor Customer service

Hi,

I've been having extreme trouble with my broadband speeds for 2/3 days now. I meant to be receiving 200mb, yet I'm receiving 5-15mb.

I've called Customer service countless times to address the issue, but no one can give me a straight answer and I keep being fobbed off. So much so, one of the calls I was put through to the 'Gadget Team' but they quickly hung up on me.

I've done factory resets twice and put my iMac into safe mode. None of this has worked. I was asked by someone on customer service to try using my wired connection on a another device, I tried that with my Playstation - it still gave me the poor 5-15mb speeds, so it's clearly not an issue with my iMac as they suggested.

I just need a solution now. If it's a new router or an engineer coming over, then so be it. I'm extremely disappointed in Virgin's customer service, no one there actually wants to help me as a customer.

Just rang again, and was emailed some links to some silly youtube videos. Again, no one there actually wants to help me as a customer. I would also like to speak with someone in this country, and not somebody halfway across the world. Quite honestly, I'm at my wits end with this now.

Hoping someone call help, or at least sound like they care. Pretty embarrassing that I have to post this on a forum, rather than get a final solution via a phone call.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband Speeds & Poor Customer service

Games consoles are not the best devices for a speed test, but they should report better speeds than that on a 200Mbps connection.  My PS4 speed test never maxes out my 200Mbps connection but always gets above 100Mbps with an Ethernet connection.

Some hubs stats would be helpful.  If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread which can take a few days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This what came up from the Router status, obviously I can't make sense of it, hopefully you or someone else can!

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.02.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.16.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.30.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.38.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.44.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.04.52.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.05.12.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.05.20.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.05.28.pngsscsScreen Shot 2019-04-14 at 15.05.36.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting the figures from the hub.  I had to reject the images of the network log as the MAC addresses were visible and that is against the forum rules to protect your privacy.

The power levels look OK.  The logs showed a couple of "RCS Partial Service" errors on the 11th, which is around the time you started having issues.  Although I don't see those errors happening since then.  If they were occurring regularly then it would be cause for concern and need VM to investigate.

Unfortunately I can't see an obvious cause for your slow speeds.  Hopefully the forum team will have better luck and be able to see something from their side when they get to this thread in a few days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks for your help.

I'm gonna call VM again now, as I have work to do and this 5mb nonsense can't carry on.

Thanks once again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kembo80,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for you post. I'm sorry that you've been receiving slower than expected speeds.

It looks like there's an SNR fault reported in your area which is likely the cause of your broadband issues. Our tech support team would be able to log this against your account and ensure the correct procedures are followed. Could you confirm whether you've spoken to our team since your post yesterday? If not, we can certainly get this sorted for you.

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

I have spoken to people in customer service since yesterday, but they have once again been unhelpful. Although, I was told there was a fault in my postcode.

I checked my Broadband speeds this morning and it was showing at 170-190mb, so presumed it was fixed. Now after arriving back from work this evening around 6pm, it's back down to 8mb.

Also, I've looked at your Status checker on the VM website and it's saying there are no issues in my area, which is obviously false. This really needs to be updated so customers have a clue what is going on. I'd appreciate it if someone who knows about the situation (and knows when it will be fixed) would get in touch with me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kembo80,

The SNR issues in your area are due to be resolved by 22/04/19 at 9:00 am, the ticket number for this fault is F007048430. During this time you may unfortunately find your speeds fluctuate.

I am sorry that the service page isn't showing any outages for you, however you should also be able to check our service hotline for any further updates on the outage, the number is 0800 561 0061.

If you've any other questions let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.

Thanks,

Tom_S

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Kembo80 wrote:

Hi Rachael,

I have spoken to people in customer service since yesterday, but they have once again been unhelpful. Although, I was told there was a fault in my postcode.

I checked my Broadband speeds this morning and it was showing at 170-190mb, so presumed it was fixed. Now after arriving back from work this evening around 6pm, it's back down to 8mb.

Also, I've looked at your Status checker on the VM website and it's saying there are no issues in my area, which is obviously false. This really needs to be updated so customers have a clue what is going on. I'd appreciate it if someone who knows about the situation (and knows when it will be fixed) would get in touch with me.

Thanks.

@Kembo80 The status checker only shows issues that impact a large number of customers, not ideal but that is the way it works.  So if it isn't showing yours that doesn't mean it isn't real and isn't being worked on.

This kind of fault is not something the call centre staff can fix and it is a waste of time calling them.

As I was writing this I can see @Tom_S has posted and provided more information including the service check phone number which I was going to suggest. It covers issues right down to postcode level (I believe) rather than just covering large area issues like the status checker, so should list your issue.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott.
0 Kudos