cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype, Zoom, Video conferencing issues drop outs and freezes

syukrirw9
Joining in

I just moved to a new housing area and got VM installed last week as it was reliable previously. I’m on the same internet plan of 100mb. However, I’ve got issues whenever I’m using Zoom/Skype/Whatsapp video call as the call will just drop out and laggy. It’s never an issue streaming YouTube or Netflix, just for video conferences/calls. Tried Using Speedtest.net but both download and upload speeds are fine. Not sure where the issue is coming from. I saw some other people having the same issue on this forum. As currently I’m working from home, it’s really necessary to have stable connection for video conference. 

31 REPLIES 31

BumbleVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, we've seen problems where certain sites like Zoom are being blocked by childsafe settings on my.virginmedia.  Not sure that this would solve your problems but worth giving it a go.  Maybe also clearing your web browser cache as well 

Regards

Rich

Here to help! Im a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
************ FANCY £50 OFF YOUR BILL ************

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have had virgin media 100mb provided and paid for by my company and moved it into my own name last Friday which involved a new install and router. The internet works well and wifi is fine but ever since Friday my Microsft Teams calls are freexing and dropping which never happened before. Any ideas?

Connect with a cable rather than WiFi 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I am, and have also tried it on a different machine using wifi with exactly the same issue.

Welcome to our Forum millstone250 and sorry to hear that your connection isn't behaving as expected when your using Video Conferencing services. Can I ask whether it does the same if you was to watch video online or stream for example? I ask because I've looked at your network details and there is nothing alarming and there are no errors that I can see.

Please give us more information so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi,

Since my post the Virgin engineers have been out completed a nmber of check and swapped the Hub out for a new oe - and still the problem continues. Streaming from YouTube, Netflix etc is fine it is live video and voice that has problems.

It is as if Virgin contentions do not allow for efficient use of the internet for homeworkers in these Covid times. 

Try modem mode with your own router. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

we have been experiencing the exact same as have our neighbours also with virgin. We also got a new hub sent out and it has made no difference. Video streaming and download is not a problem but TEAMS calls in particular, but also Zoom, are continuously failing. It is getting to be quite embarrassing for work. When I’ve been away and using a non virgin connection, it seems to work fine! 

if virgin don’t come up with answers soon it will have to mean we will move to a new provider. 

and I find responses like “connect with a cable” really unhelpful. 

@millstone250 wrote:

Hi,

Since my post the Virgin engineers have been out completed a nmber of check and swapped the Hub out for a new oe - and still the problem continues. Streaming from YouTube, Netflix etc is fine it is live video and voice that has problems.

It is as if Virgin contentions do not allow for efficient use of the internet for homeworkers in these Covid times. 

had a new hub sent out. Made no difference. 

@Jputzel wrote:

we have been experiencing the exact same as have our neighbours also with virgin. We also got a new hub sent out and it has made no difference. Video streaming and download is not a problem but TEAMS calls in particular, but also Zoom, are continuously failing. It is getting to be quite embarrassing for work. When I’ve been away and using a non virgin connection, it seems to work fine! 

if virgin don’t come up with answers soon it will have to mean we will move to a new provider. 

and I find responses like “connect with a cable” really unhelpful. 

@millstone250 wrote:

Hi,

had a new hub sent out. Made no difference. 

Connecting with a cable is a helpful response. You can also try modem mode with your own router attached.

The virgin hubs are basic, cheap residential devices and they’re not meant for permanent home working. 

It also isn’t grounds for leaving penalty free.