Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Skype Zoom Video conferencing issues drop outs and freezes contd

As noted here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Skype-Zoom-Video-conferencing-issues-drop-o... There are now 3 people with different setups having the same issue.

The orginal thread appears to be unanswered - Can we please have an update, in particular with the increased number of people working from home. 

Kferg

Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Skype Zoom Video conferencing issues drop outs and freezes contd

What is the actual problem that you are having ?

Which series Hub do you have ?

Is the Hub in Router or Modem Mode ?

Are you using a third party router ?

What is your contracted speed ?

Is there anything showing on the Service Status page for your location ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo - the issue, as you know, is that Zoom/Skype/other VOIP applications are causing internet dropouts, as per the other thread. But anyway, for me:

Intermittent connectivity issues whilst using Zoom/Skype calls with multiple participants.

SH3

Modem

Yes, PFSense.

No.

--

As per the other thread, for me, the root of the issue appears to be intermittent high packet loss to the upstream gateway when using any VOIP application with multiple participants - it's easily reproducible. When this happens, it doesn't just affect the Zoom/Skype call, but all internet connectivity.

Here's an example from my router logs this afternoon, whilst on a Zoom call with 10 participants:

Mar 16 13:15:17 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 38950us stddev 84800us loss 21%
Mar 16 13:16:28 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 136162us stddev 185503us loss 10%
Mar 16 13:23:45 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 71767us stddev 138229us loss 21%
Mar 16 13:24:54 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 58380us stddev 111333us loss 10%
Mar 16 13:31:20 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 38495us stddev 98512us loss 21%
Mar 16 13:32:20 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 15658us stddev 33100us loss 10%
Mar 16 13:57:17 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 30815us stddev 68079us loss 22%
Mar 16 13:58:55 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 37071us stddev 96287us loss 8%
Mar 16 14:03:54 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 38662us stddev 82056us loss 22%
Mar 16 14:05:28 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 11147us stddev 17463us loss 6%
Mar 16 14:17:01 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Alarm latency 55191us stddev 93754us loss 22%
Mar 16 14:18:14 dpinger WAN_DHCP 82.34.32.1: Clear latency 51586us stddev 123762us loss 7%

Note: "Alarm" is when the router detects an issue with the upstream gateway, "Clear" is when the issue has resolved itself. Internet connectivity in general corresponds with these times. 82.34.32.1 is the Gateway that my SH, in modem mode, has given to my router.

During these outages, pinging the router works fine. Pinging another device on the network is fine. Pinging an external IP doesn't work.

When not using VOIP applications, internet connectivity is fine. It feels like there is some form of QoS in place for VOIP calls, at the network level, which is causing issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connectivity issues whilst using Zoom/Skype calls with multiple participants.

Hub 3

Router for the majority - switched to modem today

Asus 

No.

Issues duplicate to other posts - "During these outages, pinging the router works fine. Pinging another device on the network is fine. Pinging an external IP doesn't work.

When not using VOIP applications, internet connectivity is fine. It feels like there is some form of QoS in place for VOIP calls, at the network level, which is causing issues."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have been keeping some basic stats on a few similar problems over the l couple of weeks and all seem to have two things in common ..

1. PFSense routers.

2. The latest firmware in the Hub 3.

From what I can gather (I'm no expert) the latest firmware in the Hub 3 has caused some kind of conflict with the PFSense routers when the Hub is in Modem Mode. Who is responsible for the fix I don't know.

VM can't be expected to test their systems on every piece of hardware on the market and PFSense can't be expected to change their hardware firmware every time an ISP changes something.

The more individual threads are started the more chance that someone somewhere might take not but I wouldn't bet on it.

If using the Hub 3 in Modem Mode with a third party router is critical  I can only suggest that you get another router until a fix is found.

Not the best of fixes I know but it is the only thing I can recommend.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM can't be expected to test their systems on every piece of hardware on the market and PFSense can't be expected to change their hardware firmware every time an ISP changes something.

That doesn't help me when I used the Router for over 3 months with these issues, and don't have PFSense.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

And this is a good example why piggy backing threads goes pear shaped.

I give up with it, a waste of time asking the OP a question that another person answers.

This isn't aimed at you kferg.

If you want assistance start your own  [REMOVED] thread.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo

That kind of attitude is unhelpful, and not necessary. It was quite clear that multiple people are experiencing this issue, I really do not know what your problem is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@bma1445 wrote:

@MikeRobbo

That kind of attitude is unhelpful, and not necessary. It was quite clear that multiple people are experiencing this issue, I really do not know what your problem is.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

Your choice.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mike, the issue is not with pfsense, that much can be established by any of the pfsense users (myself included) by switching to a mobile hotspot tethered to the pfsense box and then not experiencing the issues mentioned above, its a Virgin issue, more likely its a firmware issue because my old Hitron CGNv4 from the business service did not have the same problem (in the same infrastructure, switching over was a lift and shift of the Hitron to the Hub4). Normally I would expect Virgin Media to ignore this issue until a year down the line when enough people have complained publically they might acknowledge and fix the issue (the Intel Puma chipset is a prime example of this) however given the current situation with CV and more and more people working from home, it's being brought into sharp focus how slow Virgin often are to react to issues, I'm having the identical issue mentioned above and I'm on the Gig1 service using a Hub4 (seemingly it goes further with the Hub4 as I've mentioned in another post)
0 Kudos