Menu
badayuni92
Just joined
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Simple tp link router

Hi all

I know this question has probably been asked loads of times however I would be grateful for assistance

I am new to virgin and have the hub 3. I am having serious WiFi issues. The connection at the router and in virgins network is fine no issues. The issue is only WiFi related

Essentially Poor speeds and frequent drop outs on all devices even close to the router. I've tried the usual splitting bands changing channels. Running a WiFi analyser and putting my router on the least congested channel. None of which has made any difference at all. I don't have a lot of WiFi devices, my router isn't near any other electrical equipment that could cause interference 

I am not after a top of the line mesh system as that's not required for my needs

Can anyone recommend a simple tp link router below £100 that can offer stable wifi in a average sized 3 bed semi. I am only on the 100mbps package I do see those speeds hard wired. I am okay with only receiving half that over wifi just at long as it is stable

Will the archer a7 or c7 old routers I know. Will they be up to the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Simple tp link router

Does it have to be TP Link - it may be worth looking at other makes.  Asus, D Link and others are worth considering

There are some review websites that list routers according to budget and features such as these;

PC Mag 

Expert 

Tech 

Check your requirements in terms of coverage, size of house and speed of the Ethernet ports.  Any Wi-Fi 6 requirement for the future?

The TP Link AX10 looks good value for Wi-Fi 6 ?  I may be missing important features though.

Bear in mind it's Prime Day tomorrow - if you have Amazon Prime - there may be some bargains?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@badayuni92 wrote:

Hi all

I know this question has probably been asked loads of times however I would be grateful for assistance

I am new to virgin and have the hub 3. I am having serious WiFi issues.<snip>

Consider using an access point in conjunction with the existing Hub.  Something like this TP-Link TL-WA1201 Access Point Dual Band AC1200, Supports Passive PoE, Supports Access Point, Range ...

Keep the Hub where it is and use the access point to cover the weak wifi areas in the house.  Don't forget that additional ethernet cable can be run outside a property and does not have to be run indoors where it is harder to install neatly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good suggestions above. But for £100 you should also consider this excellent TP-Link Mesh system. Simple to set up (no ethernet cabling between units needed) and should give better "whole home" wifi coverage than one router on its own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TP-LINK Archer AX10 looks good or TP-Link Archer AX1800

TP-Link Archer AX1800 Next-Gen WiFi 6 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Cable Router, WiFi Speed up to 1201...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's a great price for that wifi6 AX1800 - but... as the OP only has the 100 package (currently) it is really a "future proofing" option 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The TP link A7 is a good price in the Prime sale

Here 

Deal of the day for Prime Members: TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mbps, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports OneMesh, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, AP Mode, VPN 

If you’re not a member sign up for a trial?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've got the C7 (The A7 is the same but with Amazon firmware on it) and Ive been incredibly pleased with it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos