cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed a new contract but no promised Wifi Pod

JellyBelly2689
Tuning in

I very recently signed to a new contract as the offer for broadband was too good to pass up as I wanted to cancel when my original contract ended and during the phone call with a person in retentions (I have their full name) I was told a Wifi Pod would be ordered for me as wifi speed in one bedroom was abysmal.  I was told it would not cost anything each month but if I needed more than one then a monthly cost would be incurred.

I keep checking my account and nothing is showing up there as being ordered.

I have phoned customer services and they mentioned about the monthly cost but if I were to take out what sounded like Virgin Mobile I could have the pod free of charge but would need to payan extra £16 a month.

I'm not interested in Virgin Mobile so what was he on about?

Can someone please help me as I'm still within my cooling off period (it ends on Sunday) and I am very tempted to cancel it completely especially as the reason I was cancelling in the first place is the lack of wifi in the bedroom.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Would you not be better to invest your funds in what you need, i.e. Wireless Repeater / Mesh / Access Points etc to provide enough coverage for your home ?

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode + 2 Wireless Access Points this covers 12 rooms, we don't hear grumbles about lack of signal or issues with Zoom / Skype video calls or TV streaming.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

Would you not be better to invest your funds in what you need, i.e. Wireless Repeater / Mesh / Access Points etc to provide enough coverage for your home ?

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode + 2 Wireless Access Points this covers 12 rooms, we don't hear grumbles about lack of signal or issues with Zoom / Skype video calls or TV streaming.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Client62 has already given you the best solution above.

But re pods see this older post....

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @JellyBelly2689 thanks for your post here in the Community although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

For clarity, the WIFi Pods (or WiFi Max as otherwise known) are free of charge, if you are on either a Volt bundle or 1GB bundle. However, if you are not on either of these then they are £8 a month and to be clear, it is not £8 a month per pod, it is £8 a month for the package (so £8 regardless of if you have the one pod or three if needed).

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance with this please let us know.

Also please see here for full details.

Many thanks

Tom_W

JellyBelly2689
Tuning in

Thank you everyone for replying.

I am just so annoyed because the guy I spoke to actually said that there would be NO monthly charge on the Pod but if I were to order another that there would then be a £8 monthly charge and I am allowed 3 in total.  I even asked him to confirm this which he did and I wrote it all down in my pad while on the phone to him. He said that the Pod would be with me within 3-5 days.

I just feel that this was just a ploy to get me to stay with Virgin. He would say anything to get me to say yes.

I have the connect app and have tried to see what kind of speed all the rooms are getting.  Each one is getting 265Mbps except the bedroom at the back of the house which is getting 10-15mbps. Hence why I wanted the Pod.

What is a mesh system? I haven't a clue as to where to begin with that.

Hi @JellyBelly2689 thanks for your reply. 

I am really sorry for this, I'm sure we wouldn't have intentionally misadvised you here and it may be more of a training issue, please be assured we will definitely feed this back behind the scenes.

In terms of a mesh system, this is where you purchase a third party router and this essentially supplies your WiFi around the house, instead of our Hub (but our Hub is still used to supply the broadband connection, to the third party router if that makes sense).

We can't advise any as these are of course third party routers and unfortunately we don't support them over here, but we hope this advice helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re Mesh... FYI.... see this for a good introductory model with GB ports and excellent wifi.  We can walk you through any setup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Deco-S4-3-pack-Beamforming/dp/B0851D6MXY/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.