Menu
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Should I take the Hub 4 upgrade offer?

VM have emailed me offering an upgrade to a hub 4 from hub 3 - supposedly to 'improve' our Wi-Fi.

It's unlikely to improve Wi-Fi since I used the hub in modem mode and have my own wireless router & additional AP.....

Is it worth getting the hub 4 as a better modem?   We have a 200MB service which is more than enough for us - not currently looking at 1GB by any means (though Zen via City Fibre looks tempting).

Has anyone found any benefit in moving to a hub 4 when using in modem mode?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should I take the Hub 4 upgrade offer?

If you’re in modem mode it makes little to no difference.

Other than the ability to take Gig1 somewhere down the line and possibly more downstream channels if your area has them. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
ukmartian
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I took the Hub 4 offer and I am now back on the hub 3 it was apparently not compatible with the network, I  had problems with smart plugs and my A.I was extremely slow. The first thing the engineer done when he came in was to replace it with a new Hub 3...everything is now working .

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@ukmartian wrote:

I took the Hub 4 offer and I am now back on the hub 3 it was apparently not compatible with the network, I  had problems with smart plugs and my A.I was extremely slow. The first thing the engineer done when he came in was to replace it with a new Hub 3...everything is now working .

Were  you in modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just upgraded to a Hub4/1G service for one reason only, it’s £32 cheaper than my previous plan.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all

I don't think I'll bother responding to the marketing email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos