Menu
Spoutnik
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Should I switch?

Hello everyone,

I've been with Virgin for 4 years, broadband only, M100 package. I am now out of contract and through regular increases my monthly fee is now £44.50 which will increase to £48 in March (from £27 when I first signed up). Today I've actually received a letter from Virgin advising me I may get a better offer elsewhere and to shop around.

I'd like to stay with Virgin but can't afford to pay that much.

I've been looking at a deal with Talk Talk, just to compare, and in the process I did a speed test and found out that on my wireless laptop the download speed is 36Mbps. So I've been thinking that I've been paying for 100Mbps when in fact I'm achieving less?... I talked to a Talk Talk adviser who said I would be better off with their Fibre 65 broadband, which confused me: why would I get a better speed with 65Mbps Fibre at Talk Talk if a M100 package with Virgin only gives me 36Mbps (on average)?

I may not need a M100 package after all (we're two adults working from home during the day, Netflix streaming in the evening or gaming).

I tried to call the Virgin line on 0345 454 1111 but can't get through to someone.

Basic summary is I can't continue to overpay Virgin but not sure if I would get equivalent speeds elsewhere... 

Would appreciate any advice.

0 Kudos
Stumac1980
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should I switch?

Hi,

I will DM you regarding some options that you have regarding your contract and account.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

• Visit the VM site (Below is an example):

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only 

• Wait for the 'Live Chat' to pop up (Black box on the right hand side):

carl_pearce_0-1611600966400.png

• Click options until asked to wait for one of the team to reply. Say you want to speak to the 'Customer Relations' team.
  • Leave the chat window open, leaving your PC/Laptop on overnight if required (I had to leave it open for 22 hours before I got a reply, but it worked).
  • If the chat window doesn't appear just keeping clicking around the site, it will eventually.

I got my M350 (Broadband only) down from £52/month (Going to £55.50) to £40/month (Increasing to £43.50).

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

if all you need is 100 then VM might not be the cheap option.

Your wireless speed is not a good test. what speeds do you get wired

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What are your speeds with your laptop wired to the Hub?

Wireless connections are constricted by congestion from other Hubs in neighbouring houses which slow your connection down. For instance I am on 350Mb BB & get this with no problem wired, but only get around 20Mb wireless on the 2.4Ghz band or around 150 - 200Mb on 5Ghz.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos