Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Should I renew subscription with low bandwidth and intermittent service

I am on the 350 Mbps package and coming up for renewal on Nov 11. This means my subscription goes up from £49.00 to £65.00 after a first year discount. This includes a booster which does not appear to help much.

In the front room where Hub 3 is I don’t seem to get more than 200 Mbps and many times less with random unexplained periods of no internet or very slow speeds. In the back room it is more like 70 Mbps and on occasion when 2 teenagers are streaming school lessons my speed in the back room goes down to less than 1 Mbps which to me indicates a bandwidth problem not a wi-fi problem. On my LG TV in the back room BritBox and iPlayer are forever losing their connection or buffering.

I’ve run the tests in the service status with results as No Issue – can’t find any technical issues. I’ve done all the cable checking and resetting Hub 3 - no changeScanning rooms on the Connect app results are “Great” (what speed does Great mean) in the front and back room.

Network Diagnostic tool in Hub 3 status reports

Your home network has a few problems.

Move the devices closer

My gripe is that I’m paying for 350 Mbps and getting less than 200 Mbps in the front room next to Hub 3. I would have thought that 2 people streaming would not limit the bandwidth to the back room. £65.00 a month for a slower than paid for package is not right.  Should I downgrade to a slower package? Will that make any difference? I need the bandwidth in a household with 4 heavy users!

I would gladly pay the £65.00 for a decent service with decent wi-fi, yes I realise that I’m not going to get 350 Mbps on wi-fi, but begrudge paying for a service that I’m not getting

I’ve spent hours on the phone trying to get through, with no success!!

So my questions are

Should I request/insist on a engineers visit?

Would Hub 4 help?

Should I downgrade?

And how do I get through to a helpful person at Virgin?

Thanks for any advice and help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Should I renew subscription with low bandwidth and intermittent service

The speed you pay for are the speeds delivered to the hub and wired speeds, not WiFi speeds.

What are your speeds wired direct to the hub?

A Hub4 won’t help. It’s worse than the Hub3. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No point paying for the extra bandwidth if the performance is wifi-constrained.  You would do better to put the hub in modem mode and buy a decent mesh wifi system, so long as the cable connection is reliable, and (using a decent device) you can get well over 350 Mbps on a good quality wifi connection.  A Hub 4 probably won't improve matters, and giving the teething troubles evident in this forum could make things much worse.  But don't invest any money in new wifi kit yet.  If (despite VM's unreliable diagnostics) there IS something wrong with your broadband connection, a better wifi setup won't fix that.

There's no certain way of getting through to a helpful person at VM - despite other companies managing relatively well, VM's customer service appears to be in a state of near collapse, and even before that the customer service was a poor quality, under-resourced offshore effort.

And before renewing any contract, I'd suggest setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  Let that run for 24 hours, and then post a link to shared live graph, and we can see if that reveals anything.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thinking a bit more about this,  the area that affects me the most is the back room and my LG TV and iMac. I have now got the LG TV connected via ethernet cable and for the last 24 hours there have been no drop outs or buffering. So that leaves my iMac. Can I have 2 boosters connected so I can connect my iMac to an ethernet  connected booster and run them both simultaneously but on different sockets in the same room. I have a Devolo 500Mbps would that work or do I need to request an additional booster from Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes those would work.

The virgin supplied ones are a bit cheap and not very reliable. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The virgin supplied ones are a bit cheap 

Not for customers who rent them rather than getting them free, as it'll cost the same in a year as buying similar equipment outright.....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

The virgin supplied ones are a bit cheap 

Not for customers who rent them rather than getting them free, as it'll cost the same in a year as buying similar equipment outright.....

As in the actual equipment/manufacturing cost.

0 Kudos