cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking customer service and slow speeds since booster installed

Ryanroberts
Joining in

We've had speed issues since before Christmas and virgin sent numerous engineers out to find the fault.Our wifi was slow but would work for a day or two after a reset.Two of the engineers replaced internal wiring and this seemed to alleviate the problem temporarily.After a few weeks the problem arose and I was now getting sick and tired of being on the phone for pretty much an hour each time to report the fault.They sent another engineer who came out and told me I would have to live with the fault.I had enough by this time and logged a complaint with virgin.They got in touch and sent what they call a senior engineer to my property and told me he would call me when he was on my way to my property so I could be there to explain the fault further.He didn't call and turned up when my wife was home and she tried to explain the fault best she could.I came home straight away just as he was leaving.I explained the fault to him and he said he changed outside wiring which seemed to fix the problem.He even gave me his mobile number and told me to contact him if the fault occurred again and he would come straight away to look at the fault.While the complaint was logged with Virgin I had one phone call to explain the frustration and anger at which the way we has been treated.It had been over 4 months with intermittent Internet.The chap I spoke to promised to call me back on my mobile and keep me updated with the complaint I logged with them.I never had a call back but then received an email saying as they had tried to get in touch ( no missed calls on mobile or landline) and couldn't get in touch they closing the complaint down.I had given up at this point and refused to wait another hour on the phone to be fobbed off again.I contacted the senior engineer when it seemed to dip again but it seems OK now.We received a booster on Friday and since installing fhe booster out internet struggles to get over 200mbps.We have 600mps and we are promised at least half.Has anyone else experienced shocking customer service and has anyone else's Internet speed dropped since installing a booster??? 

Apologies for the long post but I feel completely let down by Virgin 😞

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can we establish whether low speeds are only on wifi or do you get them on an ethernet cable connected computer or laptop?

If you dont know - are you able to test it and see?

In reality speeds guarantees dont apply to wifi connections - the speeds are guaranteed "to" the Hub - and out of it on an ethernet cable so need to establish that as a "benchmark"

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Seems to be a wifi issue.I could dig the laptop out later and test via ethernet.I did install the booster and let it settle for 48 hours before resetting and the speed was back to normal but now the speeds seems to have dropped down to less than half.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Would be useful to have that as a benchmark to prove or otherwise whether ~600 is being delivered stably to the Hub

I dont have Pods or use any Wifi from VM's Hub (i use my own).. but are you able to tell whether the devices are connecting on the 5GHz frequency or the slower 2.4 one? 

I ask because, on my wireless router I have separated the SSID's so I can choose which frequency to connect to.

That's because my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get ~220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they can only get those speeds when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.