Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Severe installation delay!!

We moved house and were told that because the new property was served by VirginMedia that we would have to either pay off our existing contract should we choose to leave, or remain with them at the new house. So we opted to remain with Virgin. We were told we would keep the same package (which turned out not to be the case but this has since been resolved). We were also not informed it would set up a brand new account either but this is not the big issue. The earliest install date at the new property would be on the 7th October, 2 weeks after we moved in, we accepted that this would be the case and would not commence contract until install complete.

The pre-installation team arrived on the 7th Oct but were unable to carry out the work as there was not a junction box on the street to take the wires from to pull to our house. They reported it as urgent and we were by told by the installation engineers on the day that the road or pavement would need to be dug up by a construction team and it often takes 8-10weeks to get council permission.

After multiple hours on the phone we were given a new install date of 27th Oct to allow time for the works to be carried out (sounded a little optimistic from what the installation engineers had said). We were offered a lump sum compensation in the form of credit on our account for the delay up till 27th Oct. We were told any further delay after this date would result in further compensation.

On the 16th Oct we received a text to say it had been put on hold and we would be contacted to explain what is going on. We never received any contact, we had to do the chasing with multiple hours on the phone. VM confirmed to us about the construction work required and that budgets had been approved, still waiting on the council approval. No timeline has yet been given. We asked about further compensation and was told that we will receive £5 of credit for every day we are without service until we receive service. This also ties up with the terms and conditions on your website: https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

On the 28th Oct we requested to have this in writing, confirming the situation and the compensation that we would receive so we have record of it. We were told we would have a letter sent in 48hours. It is now the 5th November, and still nothing in writing! We have had no further updates either!

We are becoming increasingly frustrated in the lack of customer service. We need clarity, some level of update and timeline, and something in writing urgently that confirms this compensation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Severe installation delay!!

@CS100 wrote:

We moved house and were told that because the new property was served by VirginMedia that we would have to either pay off our existing contract should we choose to leave, or remain with them at the new house. So we opted to remain with Virgin. We were told we would keep the same package (which turned out not to be the case but this has since been resolved). We were also not informed it would set up a brand new account either but this is not the big issue. The earliest install date at the new property would be on the 7th October, 2 weeks after we moved in, we accepted that this would be the case and would not commence contract until install complete.

The pre-installation team arrived on the 7th Oct but were unable to carry out the work as there was not a junction box on the street to take the wires from to pull to our house. They reported it as urgent and we were by told by the installation engineers on the day that the road or pavement would need to be dug up by a construction team and it often takes 8-10weeks to get council permission.

After multiple hours on the phone we were given a new install date of 27th Oct to allow time for the works to be carried out (sounded a little optimistic from what the installation engineers had said). We were offered a lump sum compensation in the form of credit on our account for the delay up till 27th Oct. We were told any further delay after this date would result in further compensation.

On the 16th Oct we received a text to say it had been put on hold and we would be contacted to explain what is going on. We never received any contact, we had to do the chasing with multiple hours on the phone. VM confirmed to us about the construction work required and that budgets had been approved, still waiting on the council approval. No timeline has yet been given. We asked about further compensation and was told that we will receive £5 of credit for every day we are without service until we receive service. This also ties up with the terms and conditions on your website: https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

On the 28th Oct we requested to have this in writing, confirming the situation and the compensation that we would receive so we have record of it. We were told we would have a letter sent in 48hours. It is now the 5th November, and still nothing in writing! We have had no further updates either!

We are becoming increasingly frustrated in the lack of customer service. We need clarity, some level of update and timeline, and something in writing urgently that confirms this compensation.

Take it up with the council. They are the ones dragging their feet in permissions and wayleaves etc. for the work to commence.  

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

your lucky if they are giving you anything. VM have every right to say the address is not serviceable and you would have to cancel paying any early disconnection fees

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They are part the issue yes, but VM job to chase not mine. 

Also could go into the multiple lies we’ve been told by Virgin along the process. The customer service has been poor. This is our main issue and want something in writing like we have been told we would.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@CS100 wrote:

They are part the issue yes, but VM job to chase not mine. 

Also could go into the multiple lies we’ve been told by Virgin along the process. The customer service has been poor. This is our main issue and want something in writing like we have been told we would.

Then ask virgin to chase the council then. Council delays on non-essential work (in their books) is inevitable.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax

not helpful... at no point have Virgin said they do not service the property!

we were told that they DO serve the property which is why we stayed with them.

only once the installation people came was it found that the street has virgin cables but does not run off that to a junction box near enough to the house.

i understand the process. We require an update and confirmation of the compensation, and over the phone is proving unsuccessful after many hours on the phone in the last 4 weeks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@CS100 wrote:

@apcyberax

not helpful... at no point have Virgin said they do not service the property!

we were told that they DO serve the property which is why we stayed with them.

only once the installation people came was it found that the street has virgin cables but does not run off that to a junction box near enough to the house.

i understand the process. We require an update and confirmation of the compensation, and over the phone is proving unsuccessful after many hours on the phone in the last 4 weeks

But if they have to dig etc. they have to weigh up the costs of doing it versus the cost of the income from you as a customer. If the cost of work outweighs the return then they won’t do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I understand the council delays. Not my main cause of issue. The complaint is fundamentally the poor customer service we’ve had on the phone to rectify, the multiple times we Have been promised things and never got, and the lies we have been told. Just trying another form of communication to get on Virgins radar to get a response from someone that might actually be able to do what they have said they will. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Please read the original post properly. The construction work has been agreed already.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

but if they find it needs more work or cost more than expected you'll be in the same boat.

Also if they are going to need 2 months they will just cancel the agreement as it will cost too must in compensation.

It's not just the install costs anymore Ofcom has made it less likely ISP will spend the "time" to install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos