Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Setting up new router with Hub 3.0 in modem mode

So I've got sick and tired of the poor WiFi performance from Hub 3 as dropping connection even when I'm in same room. So after wanting to do it for some time I've got the ASUS router AC2900 arriving this evening.

Now I'm aware I need to put the hub 3.0 into modem mode but this maybe a silly question but will I have to set up all my devices to new router or can I avoid that if I name both the 2.4g and 5g channel and use same password as on 3.0 hub will that work? As I have lots of smart home devices connected.

Also any other tips to ensure a smooth and easy set up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Setting up new router with Hub 3.0 in modem mode

Follow this procedure ...

Put the Hub into modem mode …

To enable modem mode on your Hub

1. Make sure you are connected (wired or wirelessly) to your Hub
  2. Open your Internet browser
  3. Log in to your Hub's settings page by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet browser
  4. Enter your Hub settings password. The default password is on the bottom of the Hub.  If you have changed the default password, enter that password instead
  5. Once you've logged in, click Modem Mode on the left
  6. Click the option next to Enable Modem Mode and then click Apply changes

and wait for the base light to turn magenta.

Note: Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1.

………………………………………………………………………..

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialized (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting up new router with Hub 3.0 in modem mode

@ocaz wrote:

....can I avoid that if I name both the 2.4g and 5g channel and use same password as on 3.0 hub will that work?

yes setup the same SSID

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos