cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up internet connection in garden building

Eekbubble
Joining in

Hi all 

I have a garden building that I would like to setup for broadband access. I had a cat 6 Ethernet port put in during the build so can use that for an internet connection but would also like to be able to connect to WIFI. 

Is there a way to achieve this? I did order a WiFi pod from Virgin but even with this plugged in to the closest room in my house to the garden building, it doesn’t reach the garden building for a connection. 

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

Consider a WI-Fi Router for the garden building.  Configured in Access Point mode & you will have both Wi-Fi and network sockets available from the end of the network cable.

Thank you. Would this mean I’d have two different networks? Hoping to be able to have it all under Virgin.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Run the cat 6 from the hub into the garden building and connect it to a WAP (wireless access point).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Would this mean I’d have two different networks?" No, you just set the SSID of the Access Point to the same as the VM SSID.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Legend

Not at all, the aim have one network.