cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Mesh advice please

TonyM19
Tuning in

Hi

Struggling with Wi-Fi dead spots around the house.  Its a 50s built dormer bungalow that's been extended.  I'm mentioning this as it has at least 3 ring circuits that rule out using any form of powerline adapter (I've tried them).  I have wired connection from the router downstairs to my work PC which is upstairs - that connection is rock solid.  I also have a wired connection to a TP-Link Wireless Access Point (again upstairs). That has given me coverage of about 80% of the house.  It's on its last legs though and I'm thinking of setting up a Mesh system.  Can I ask some advice on this:

I've read that I have to set the router to modem mode.  How would that effect my wired connection to my PC?  I work from home a couple of days a week and I need that

Is the wired connection to the TP-Link anything I could use in this setup?

Are there any setups that people have used that have worked effectively (thinking £200 max - especially with a big online sale next week)?

Are there any setups that I should avoid?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Are there any wired devices plugged in via Ethernet, other than the connection between the HUB and PC, and HUB and TP-Link?

You could put the HUB in modem mode, then connect one Mesh 'node' into the Ethernet cable instead of the PC, then connect the PC directly to that node (Most nodes have at least two Ethernet ports).

You could then use the other one/two nodes in other areas over you home to get full wireless coverage.

Something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2V57MV...

Or to future proof with WiFi-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B09MFWNYC3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2V57MV...

With the WiFi-6 mesh system since there are three Ethernet ports per node you could put one node next to the HUB, use the second port for your PC unstairs, and have one spare for a wired device in the same room as the HUB.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have Gig1 you'll be limited to a maximum of 940Mbps total download speed due to the 1Gbps Ethernet ports.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

carl_pearce
Community elder

Are there any wired devices plugged in via Ethernet, other than the connection between the HUB and PC, and HUB and TP-Link?

You could put the HUB in modem mode, then connect one Mesh 'node' into the Ethernet cable instead of the PC, then connect the PC directly to that node (Most nodes have at least two Ethernet ports).

You could then use the other one/two nodes in other areas over you home to get full wireless coverage.

Something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2V57MV...

Or to future proof with WiFi-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B09MFWNYC3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2V57MV...

With the WiFi-6 mesh system since there are three Ethernet ports per node you could put one node next to the HUB, use the second port for your PC unstairs, and have one spare for a wired device in the same room as the HUB.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have Gig1 you'll be limited to a maximum of 940Mbps total download speed due to the 1Gbps Ethernet ports.

Hi

Thanks for the response

This sounds good.  I really need the wired connection to my PC. Does the Deco have this functionality?

The Eero is on offer atm.  Are they worth considering and can I do the wired connection through one of these?

Cheers

Yes, the Decos I have suggested have two or three Ethernet ports, so you'd use a short Ethernet cable between one of the nodes and the PC, with the existing Ethernet cable plugged into the cable running down to the VM HUB.

The Ereo kit does have two Ethernet ports per node so depending on the scenario with the number of wired devices you could use those, however you'd have to pay more for the WiFi-6 capable kit, unless it goes on offer.

One thing you need to note is when the HUB is in modem mode only one Ethernet port can be used, which will be used to connect one of the Mesh nodes to get an internet connection from the HUB.

From there all wired and wireless devices must be plugged/connected to one of the available nodes, not the HUB.

One last question before I take the plunge.  Could I use a switch from the modem and connect the node to the switch, giving me the option to connect more than one wired connection via the switch?

Cheers

@TonyM19 wrote:

One last question before I take the plunge.  Could I use a switch from the modem and connect the node to the switch, giving me the option to connect more than one wired connection via the switch?

Cheers

Yes, however it would be from the node to a switch, not the modem since it only supports one device in modem mode (The only device that should be plugged into the HUB is one of the nodes).

TonyM19
Tuning in

Hi

Just a note to say thanks and to say how (unusually) smoothly this all went.  Had to try a few different locations for one of the Eeros to get the best signal strength (bizarrely to get the best signal in the living room we had to put the Eero in the dining room).  I haven't gone down the switch route yet - I'm going to see how we get on with the current set up for a month or so.

I have a 350Mb package and have never had speeds higher than about 60 in any room.  We are now hitting 130-200 across the house.  I can strongly recommend this.  I understand that there are better systems, but I just went for the budget option.

Sounds like a good result.