cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 with HUB4

mrpennisi
Joining in

Hello, 

I am trying to setup this router with my VM network. 

I followed all the guides, switched the Hub4 to modem mode, shutted it down, turned on the DHCP on the router and followed all the other guides in this forum. 

Nothing seems to work, and weirdly enough, even if in modem mode, the Hub is still broadcasting the wifi network, but of course no other device can log in. 

What am I doing wrong?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Next-Gen-Gigabit-Wireless-1201Mbps/dp/B089YXY2YH/?th=1

17 REPLIES 17

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mrpennisi wrote:

<Snip>  Nothing seems to work, and weirdly enough, even if in modem mode, the Hub is still broadcasting the wifi network, but of course no other device can log in. 

Are you sure you are in modem mode?  Are you using a cable to configure the setup?  You should not be using wifi to configure this.  When in modem mode only one ethernet cable should be attached and this goes to the WAN port on the Asus. 

So, basically Hub set to modem mode, checked and powered off.

Power on the Asus and set in DHCP mode and stabilised.

Connect a good Cat 6a cable from an ethernet port on the Hub to the WAN port on the Asus.

Power on the Hub and wait 5 or 10 minutes for it all to stabilise. Using a cable connection to the Asus LAN port, browse to 192.168.1.1 (default IP range of the Asus) and configure the Asus Router to your requirements.

NOTE - The default IP range for the Asus will be 192.168.1.x , so any kit that was connected to the Hub will need to get a new IP address from the Asus Router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pretty sure I was in modem mode ^^"

I will try again goign to modem mode using an eth cable at this point,

Thanks!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mrpennisi wrote:

Pretty sure I was in modem mode ^^"

I will try again goign to modem mode using an eth cable at this point,

<snip>

You need to use a cable, as when in modem mode, you cannot connect to the Hub with wifi.   All Router and WIfi functions are disabled when in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Spoiler

Yes, I know that. I meant that yesterday I switched to modem mode using a PC connected via WiFi. I will try to switch to modem mode today using a PC on eth

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mrpennisi wrote:

Yes, I know that. I meant that yesterday I switched to modem mode using a PC connected via WiFi. I will try to switch to modem mode today using a PC on eth

Cool.  Just make sure when you are connecting the PC to the Hub in modem mode, it's the only ethernet cable plugged into the Hub.  Your PC, if it is set to DHCP, should get a VM WAN IP address and this will prove modem mode is working.  Once proved, switch the Hub off for about 20 minutes before trying to connect the Asus.  The Hub needs to forget the MAC address of your PC before it will connect to your Asus, or it will not work as it will still be "locked onto" your PC.

Tried and not working. 
Asked the VM customer service, but of course from their side everything is working and just told me to "wait 24h and try again"

Any other option other than quitting Virgin Media for good?

Thanks

Get modem mode working with just a PC change to modem mode power off hub for 2mins then turn on and wait unplug replug the Ethernet cable till your PC gets internet then connect the PC to the TP-Link login go to WAN/internet settings use the clone MAC option then connect the router to the hub.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Step by step instructions:

How to put a VM hub into modem mode:

1) Access your hub on 192.168.0.1, sign on and put it into modem mode. On the Hub3 the bottom LED will change to magenta. Best done from a wired connection.

2) Turn off the hub and disconnect any Ethernet cables

3) Fully initialise your own router or mesh master unit and make sure the WAN port is set to DHCP

4) Connect your router or mesh master unit to the VM hub with an Ethernet cable, Cat5e or Cat6, any higher specification is a waste of money

5) Turn on the VM hub.

6) You should now be able to access the internet and the hub will now be on 192.168.100.1

Note: this only needs doing once for each new router or VM changes your WAN IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi,

This is exactly what I am doing, and is not working!