Menu
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service Status says "OK" but can't access hub

OK just got a message from the technical messaging support team and they gave me the IP - it is not responding and they confirmed that it is not a public IP address. I presume you are accessing it from within the VM network unlike me.

Can't believe I pay £99 for this service and can't get someone from the technical team to diagnose the problem for me.

Thanks for your help, Katie

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Katie_WT wrote:

Hi there @surreydude

Sorry for any misunderstanding - the ability to remotely access the Hub does exist; however, this is not something that we are able to offer support or advice on in a technical capacity. 

We provide dynamic IP address and as such this can change at anytime. Public IP's can start with a 10; however, when we have checked our systems it appears that your IP lease history has not changed recently. As this is the case, it is unlikely the source of your problem. 

As previously advised, your Hub is reporting to be online and is performing as expected. 

Unfortunately, both remote access and VPN is not something that we are able to support with on this forum - saying that, this is something that our amazing Community may be able to assist you with.

Sorry we could not be of further assistance at this time. 

I think IANA will disagree with you there as they define the Class A private range as 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.

If I understand you correctly, remote access was working before with your normal IP address.
If this is so you still should be able to access the Hub remotely using https:// 82.11.xxx.xxx:port
If this is the case, the only thing I can think of is that your Hub has reverted back to factory defaults, resetting the remote access and port assignment.
I would be worth trying a few times as I couldn't always log into my Hub remotely first time all the time.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

I think IANA will disagree with you there as they define the Class A private range as 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.

You can bet they meant the 10. of the modems private IP.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@surreydude wrote:

Yeah have already tried to explain that the 10.x.x.x is not used for public WAN addresses

looks like VM got the DHCP servers mixed up for modems 10. and hubs WAN IP in router mode, can you try the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So if the hub has rebooted to router mode, can I get customer support to reboot it to modem mode?

0 Kudos
andrewkp
Dialled in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I had issues connecting to the super hub 3 if it had a few WiFi connections the box lacks enough CPU to deal with everything and the webserver that is used to administer it.

I found best way was to disconnect as much as possible reboot it and connect up a PC via the LAN port while it was rebooting and then quickly stick it into modem mode.  Once in modem mode you'll need another WiFi router.  Maybe to start with use anything lying around like the previous router from BT, TalkTalk etc.  To take advantage of the fast connect over WiFi you will need a good triband WiFi router.  It can sometimes be problematic to get the WiFi router to connect to the hub, in my case this was solved by rebooting both at the same time. 

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I think this is the fourth or fifth hub I have had - they are cheap kit and don't seem to be very reliable...

...Anyway, I have finally got someone to reboot it in and out of modem mode to see if they could get it to re-acquire an IP address that is public. Unfortunately, it seems to be in limbo and the soft reset they do hasn't managed to get it to acquire a valid IP. What's interesting is that there are some services working, for example, I have https on port 443 forwarding to a server on my LAN and it works, but nothing else does.

I'm going to have to wait until I am at the property to do a hard reset and, if necessary, get a new hub sent out. Overall I'm pretty disappointed, not least because each time I've called I've been on hold for over an hour. Totally unacceptable especially since this is the only way to get help.

I've already ordered an alternative line with a static IP on a business contract - at least I will have an SLA with guaranteed response time.

0 Kudos