Menu
billzybub
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Secondary Router Configuration for Garden Office Network Issue

Hi,

I have a Virgin Hub 3 Router in my house and then a Tenda AC15 Router in my garden office. They are connected via a ethernet cable (from virgin Router to Cat 5 cable socket in house, Cat 5 cable, then cat 5 cable socket to Tenda router in garden office which is also connected to my PC). I've had this set up for about 18 months and from recollection there was no issue in setting up the second router, just plugged it in and connected my PC to get fast internet and wi fi albeit under a "Tenda" SSID as opposed to the Virgin SSID in the house - all good and no issues until last week.

The power to the Virgin Hub 3 Router in the house got switched off accidentally for about three hours before being switched back on. During this time the power in the garden office was unaffected so the Tenda Router would have had power but no internet. I have experienced power outage before and usually just switching everything off and back on seems to get everything working again but not this time. For some reason the Tenda Router is now coming up as an "Unknown Network" and I am unable to get internet or wifi when running through the router in the Garden Office but if I take the ethernet lead from the socket and plug it straight into my PC I get internet so the issue is with the Router/network I believe but am open to suggestions on this. Wifi in the house is running as normal.

I can log onto the Virgin Hub fine but not the Tenda Router as there doesn't seem to be an IP address to go to for it and if I search for it it just brings up the Virgin Hub 3. The Tenda Router  shows that it has power and is receiving internet signal as well as the ports when the PC is connected via ethernet cable. I've pushed the Reset button it in the process of trying to trouble shoot issues but this hasn't resolved anything.

I'm hoping that someone in the community might have some suggestions on what might be causing the connectivity issue and or the Configuration i should have in place to allow both routers to function when connected in the way I've described.

Appreciate your time and thoughts on this.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Secondary Router Configuration for Garden Office Network Issue

Can you get into the Tenda settings with it not connected to the VM hub?  If you can, you should configure the Tenda in access point mode - having it in router mode means two routers connected together, which is a recipe for odd and unwelcome problems, even if it appeared to work before. 

If you can't even get into the Tenda settings, then it may be bust, perhaps due to a power surge when the house power went off?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suspect the default management IP address for the Tenda router is 192.168.0.1 - which will clash with a hub that’s in router mode.

I suspect you were lucky it worked before, down to the Tenda ‘backing off’ and using a local address for its WAN?  You probably had double NAT.

The difference after the power cut is the sequence - presumably, you initially connected the Tenda to a hub that was already up - post power cut it would be the other way round.

Disconect the Tenda from the hub and see if you can login to it and configure it as an additional AP and switch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
billzybub
Just joined
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, really appreciate your input. I'm starting to think that the Tenda Router has some sort of fault (as is doesn't reset correctly when you manually pin the reset) so I think my next step is to try with a different router. Many thanks

0 Kudos
billzybub
Just joined
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, I will try this along with a different router just to rule out problems with the hardware. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good idea!  Don't forget that if the hub is in normal router mode, any other router you try needs to be configured as an access point.  On this forum I've seen a range of bizarre problems caused by linking two routers.

Whilst most people think or a router as simply a wifi base station, what any router's main job is, is to share network access to connected devices.  So it controls those devices using a standard called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, or DHCP for short.  If two routers are connected both running DHCP, then they fight over control of devices, and IP address allocation, and that's the cause of odd problems, which can include any combination of latency problems, speed problems, disconnections, or even no internet access.  Occasionally they'll be OK, if the secondary router's software is smart enough to "back down" when it detects another DHCP router, but this can't always be relied upon.  When you connect a secondary router to the hub but set it up in access point mode, that turns off the DHCP function, the hub can allocate IP addresses and manage traffic without problem, and the secondary router operates only as a wireless base station.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks