Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Second wired connection to PC

My second computer is connecting over wifi and (not surprisingly) is much slower than the one with the wired connection. Due to room layout it would be a real pain to take an ethernet cable from the hub to the second computer, but it would be pretty straightforward to have a cable running to the understairs cupboard, where the coax cable comes into the house. I've already got a currently unconnected splitter (it says vocom digital qamtex 2 way splitter VQ1002, and the two outputs are labelled 3.5dB) from when we used to use cable tv. What's the simplest way to make a new wired connection? Do I need a coax to ethernet converter, or another hub type thing, or something else? Specific recommendations for what to buy very welcome.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second wired connection to PC

you can not use the coax for your ethernet. If you want an ethernet connection it has to connect to the hub network port.

Not quite as good as wired connections but you could try powerline adapter

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@brambleboo wrote:

My second computer is connecting over wifi and (not surprisingly) is much slower than the one with the wired connection. Due to room layout it would be a real pain to take an ethernet cable from the hub to the second computer, but it would be pretty straightforward to have a cable running to the understairs cupboard, where the coax cable comes into the house. I've already got a currently unconnected splitter (it says vocom digital qamtex 2 way splitter VQ1002, and the two outputs are labelled 3.5dB) from when we used to use cable tv. What's the simplest way to make a new wired connection? Do I need a coax to ethernet converter, or another hub type thing, or something else? Specific recommendations for what to buy very welcome.

Thanks!

There is tech to do what you ask if you have spare coax between the PC and HUB, however it doesn't appear worth it considering the speed you'll get vs cost:

https://www.netgear.co.uk/images/pdf/NETGEAR-MCA1001v2-D-05092014-2.pdf 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

You cannot use the VM coaxial cable to run ethernet.

Regards

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos