Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Second wifi router to extend signal

My HH3 is in the an upstairs room in my property so the signal downstairs is terrible.

Unfortunately i have to leave it there as i have a few devices connected via ethernet. 

I want to buy a new wifi router/access point to extend the signal so i can put this downstairs and I have a cat6 cable running from HH3 upstairs to a location downstairs.

Any recommendations on what to buy? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second wifi router to extend signal

Recommendations are dependant upon need and budget.

You are better off researching for routers / mesh systems within your budget, there are plenty of online reviews to read.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For a decent, inexpensive router/access point, I'd suggest the TP-Link Archer C50.  Configure it in access point mode, sort out whatever wireless names/passwords you want, stick it on the end of the Cat 6, restart both the hub and the access point, and all should work well.  You COULD configure the C50 with the same name and password as the hub, but that might have unpredictable outcomes, so might be better to have a unique network for downstairs, add it to all wireless devices and let them choose automatically. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

sorry yep not looking to spend alot as mesh seems quite expensive
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - do i need two C50 or use the original VM HUB3 and use the c50 as an access point? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Your cheapest option is just to spend £33 on a single C50, have that in access point mode and managed by the hub's router. 

You might get slightly better performance having two C50s (one up, one down), with the hub in modem mode, and the first C50 in router mode, and the second in access point mode.  But for that twin device approach, you'd be spending £66, and for seventy quid you could buy the TP-Link Deco M4 twin pack mesh system from Argos.  I've got a Deco M4 system and it is excellent, but all depends on your budget and what outcome you want. 

If you have any ethernet connected devices you might also need to spend £10-15 on an ethernet switch to use with a mesh system, as the reasonably priced mesh units only have two ethernet ports, and on your primary mesh unit one port is connecting to the modem (only one port works on a hub in modem mode) and the other presumably to hard wire the downstairs mesh unit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I bought the C50 and configured as access point but the speeds on 2.4 are only 15mbps and 5ghz around 35mbps.

i normally get around 110mbps on the hub3 

any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The C50 is cheap and only has 100Mb port WHY did any one suggest get that!

Put hub in modem mode with the C50 in router mode see what speeds you get.

But really send the C50 back and get a better router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is a better "cheap" router with GB ports and MiMo wifi - albeit ~£50 at Amazon - can find it for less £ elsewhere

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10U-1200Mbps-Dual-band-Power-saving/dp/B07C7Y9G96/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is it worth changing to mesh system or will the speeds not be good enough still?
0 Kudos