Menu
StevenW1
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Second router to use in garden building

Hi,

I want to extend my existing Wifi into a garden building to facilitate use of a Wifi camera. I have an unused BT Business 3 hub. If I run a Cat-6 cable from my existing Virgin router to the BT unit, will it work successfully?

I did try it and both blue lights on the BT unit lit up fine but I noticed when connecting my mobile phone to it, there were two wifi options - Virgin & BT. . . .does this matter? - I assume it still goes via the Virgin router ultimately?

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks  

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Second router to use in garden building

@StevenW1 wrote:

Hi,

I want to extend my existing Wifi into a garden building to facilitate use of a Wifi camera. I have an unused BT Business 3 hub. If I run a Cat-6 cable from my existing Virgin router to the BT unit, will it work successfully?

I did try it and both blue lights on the BT unit lit up fine but I noticed when connecting my mobile phone to it, there were two wifi options - Virgin & BT. . . .does this matter? - I assume it still goes via the Virgin router ultimately?

Appreciate your help.

Many thanks  

Yes, you can use it - you will need to disable DHCP and also connect the ethernet cable from the hub into one of the LAN ports (rather than the WAN port) on the BT router.. what you then call the wifi network (SSID) is entirely up to you. 

0 Kudos