cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam Knows RealSpeed is wrong

Karmik
On our wavelength

How on earth can it give me one LAN figure, yet a real download comes out at 3 times that speed. I'm not 100% convinced on the WAN speed either. Screenshots attached.

2020-04-28 17_52_47-Window.png2020-04-28 17_54_03-Window.png

41 REPLIES 41

@tonycv51 wrote:

If you have a BQM I bet you'd see your latency go through the roof

Nope

The Giggitty 1

Getting a Samknows decent speed from your connection relys on the hardware you have

I had a 4770k with 32gb ram and was getting terrible speeds

Now I upgraded to Ryzen9 3900x with 64gb Ram - and I'm getting 1073mbps to my hub and 958 to my pc

Sudjic
Joining in

I don't know whether the OP has resolved their issues - this is an old post after all. That said, perhaps it will save some people future grief.

Like others have stated - the speed reported by 'Real Speed' on SamKnows is the total speed throughput to the Hub4. This is split across all connected devices. For the purposes of my testing I only connected 1 device at a time and powered off everything else.

I too opted for the 1Gbps service as soon as it was available in my area having being a BT customer previously. I also got MUCH slower speeds when testing with my gaming laptop. Not too dissimilar to those posted in the picture shown in the original post. My laptop has a 1 gigabit network card and is about 3 years old so you'd think it was well suited to take advantage of the full speed.

It turns out my gigabit card or the hardware it's connected within the laptop couldn't handle the full speed, at least not in a sustained transfer. I also have a wireless gigabit card in the laptop which reported slightly lower speeds. My Samsung S10 mobile fared slightly better at around 230Mbps though I've seen higher since.

However, the brand new gaming desktop I purchased a week after getting the Virgin connection reported 958Mbps first attempt. This was backed up by a similar 890Mbps reported using Ookla speedtest. I've tested several times since and I always get similar results.

I have worked in IT in the past and was sure my laptop should have been capable of taking full benefit of the speed. My advice - be 100% sure your hardware setup is capable of taking advantage. Unless you particularly want to have the full speed on one single device it won't really matter as several devices will still benefit.

To further backup the fact the Hub4 is actually delivering close to 1Gbps I tested my laptop, my phone, my wifes phone, my son's laptop and his phone all at the same time. The total was around 910Mbps.

One thing I would say - I suspect the WiFi on the Hub4 is as rubbish as any other hub. It does drop out rather annoyingly and often. This can either be fixed/ worked around by install your own wifi mesh net using something like the Deco or, if you don't want to spend the money, buy a digital time and plug the hub into it. Have it restart daily at say 3am. Regular restarts seem to reduce whatever affects the wifi dropouts - this has held true for almost any home hub I've owned.

Anonymous
Not applicable
speed tests from the hub also require CPU processes. the hub has low cpu speeds so that may limit the speeds.

The traffic routing is hardware based.

I've just stumbled across this post. 
The usual polar opinions are in evidence as you normally see on any social media. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'm confident that the 1Gb virgin connection reported by SamKnows is about right. I have and regularly achieve high 800Mbps+ downloads but, 
the LAN speeds reported are super iffy as the original posted stated and proved 

I do not use wireless at all. I have Cat6e and cisco business grade switches. I can move data around my LAN at nearly 1Gb.
SamKnows however, suggests my LAN is operating at anywhere between 200Mbps and 550Mbps depending on it's mood. 
I even plugged an Alienware laptop directly into the hub with everything else disconnected and still got wonky LAN speed readings. 

I totally agree that folk's local LAN setup will directly impact the throughput but I also think it's safe to say that SamDoesNotKnow your LAN speeds

Use built in Linux or Windows tools to test or, transfer a file across your network instead to find out

Cheers

Bob

VelvetSteel60
Joining in

Seems fairly accurate to me. The LAN is quicker than the service to the hub, I'd expect that.

This is WiFi to my personal laptop. My work laptop struggles with bandwidth with all the corporate "security" stuff and server jumps going on in the background but is still decent.

VelvetSteel60_0-1631111686780.png

and wired connection to my gaming rig is around the same.

The fastest I can get from Virgin in my area is the 600 mb/s service so this falls within expectations and is similar to other speed tests.

Pete

Harvey_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
1gig will be available nationwide by the end of the year. I know at the end of the month when it releases in my area I'm immediately upgrading......... not that I ever even really use anything above 300mb/s due to my VPN speed cap, only disabling it when I download my usual daily about 100GB per day so I can get my full speed

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cannot use SamKnows as running Hub4 in modem mode, with a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro router. My Mac mini regularly gets 950/50 down/up and it’s behind two Ubiquiti switches.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

7D086C7E-9CF3-4DFA-8001-728F64A16EFA.png

8B947B14-FD49-44E9-B137-2C0AA31378EF.png

8CBF7EF6-B452-43A0-8A2D-1526B4D4920D.png

B2631DCF-ACBD-42DD-B37E-215734E3F330.png

73BBC3E8-A85A-4983-A274-D81D88B02624.png

??? For reference, these wifi readings are typical of my pc ethernet readings. Hub to pc via cat 5e. Above is my iPhone with no other connections being used - I currently have a Network issue under investigation.

Speed to hub 1150, speed to computer 107 😂................2.5gb nic -> 2.5gb switch -> 2.5gb switch -> Hub 4.

Speedtest 950mb+

Steam download 100mb/s+

As OP says, its simply wrong in some cases but I wouldnt worry about it, just use a variety of other tests to realise your connection is totally fine and Samknows is useless(or just using the wrong naming conventions). 😂