cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM

JayEnBee
Tuning in

I suffer frequent short breaks in service. The HUB 3 Network Log shows "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync", No Ranging Response received ", "RCS Partial Service;CM" issues, and the "Downstream Bonded Channels" shows many "Post RS Errors", which I guess suggests problems between the HUB 3 and the VM Network. A copy of the DownStream Bonded Channels log is shown below:

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked40.39023584632096
2Locked40.39687825711729
3Locked40.39781765730529
4Locked40.39694414801126
5Locked40.99619838819908
6Locked40.99541280818951
7Locked40.39459596669537
8Locked40.39427910654139
9Locked40.39410239614866
10Locked40.39436753827853
11Locked40.39422775794028
12Locked38.99315169764360
13Locked38.99357534817780
14Locked40.39237361795195
15Locked40.39285800762320
16Locked40.39263285734984
17Locked40.39276062666104
18Locked40.39248001794817
19Locked38.99122479753218
20Locked40.39065474763361
21Locked38.69062449775609
22Locked38.69107021777263
23Locked40.39093609811173
24Locked38.98948675753434

Please can someone in VM sort out these network issues. The constant interruptions in service is beginning to convionce me to move to another network!

32 REPLIES 32

How does a customer get VM to help resolve a problem? It's a mystery! The only "support" received to date are advice to try this or that, with no actual action on VM's part. If I can't fix it, it seems, they're not interested. 

@JayEnBee .  You're not going to like this, but I'm just saying it how it is. 

First up, this is a "community" forum, and you will get responses from other customers, and while VM staff are involved, this isn't first line support.  That's the telephone customer service, poor as it is. 

Next point, VM policy is that they need proof of a fault to assign a technician.  They know from experience that around 30% of fault call outs find no fault (or not one that is VM's responsibility.), so simply complaining that there is a fault doesn't get you a technician - they want further information.  

Moving on, you were asked to post Downstream and Upstream date by @Adduxi and you haven't but chose to have a go at them.  You keep on about the network log, but that's a technical dataset in which some errors will always occur, and you've not bothered to post a complete version.  On the matter of the spreadsheet, that's all very well, but VM don't offer technical support via email, again whether we like that or not.  You've complained that VM don't take ownership and "why should I have to fault find?" and those are valid and accurate criticisms, but nobody here can answer those, you'll have to take those up with VM's CEO (along with his 1970's footballer haircut, somebody needs to have words with him about that).

And finally, you are probably steaming now, but I do actually agree your connection is faulty and needs a technician, and has since you first posted.  The downstream post-RS error counts were too high, the network log entries you describe are indicative of an upstream noise or power problem (on cable that messes up the downstream).  You asked what the errors were, I can tell you, but you should understand that network logs aren't widely understood even within VM, it's usually best to use that along with other data to help narrow down the nature of the problem, at which point it becomes something that the field technicians can fix.   Your options now are:

1) Do a Mr Angry strop, mouthing off about how rubbish VM's customer care is, and how rude and unhelpful people like Adduxi and me are.  Feel free, we;re here to help, we accept that some people don't want that help.  This could have been resolved much faster, VM haven't covered themselves in glory, but if you won't engage then what do you expect?  Virgin Media always has been British Airways marketing and prices with RyanAir customer service.  

2) Get on the phone to VM and find out again how grim the telephone "support" is.  For a bit of fun ask them what the network log entries mean, just don't expect a solution.

3) Play along, post up the full hub status data, and we or forum staff will do our best to help.  If you're lucky the forum staff may yet  pick up your latest post, and do some remote interrogation, identify the issue and assign a technician without you having to do anything, but being proactive and posting the data may make things quicker.

Hi @JayEnBee,

I am very sorry to hear that your service issues appear to be ongoing. However, as has been advised, we would need further information in order to help us to narrow down the cause of the problem and by extension how best to resolve this.

I can see that both my colleague and members of the community have recommended setting up and sharing a BQM. Is it possible for you to do this, please? We can then proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

@JayEnBee wrote:

... the HUB 3 installed on my premises is NOT able to interact effectively to enable the BQM to provide any information. 

Unless your Hub3 is very odd that claim simply isn't true. Plenty of folk use BQM with a Hub3.  I did so myself when I had one and it worked just fine.  Have you actually tried, or have you simply seen that it isn't on the list of approved modems and assumed that it won't work?

Try it, you may be surprised.

Thank you Andrew G for taking the time to explain how the forum operates. I misunderstood. 

I did try the get the BQM working, but again misunderstood that too! Looking at the comments re the different routers/hubs, I thought one needed to enable the response to the Ping, but it seems in those routers one stopped the router not responding to a ping, if that's not too many negatives.

So I started again to set up a BQM. Logged onto the site, input the IP address (actually of course it knew it anyway), and it started working! Magic! I'm not sure what the BQM graph should look like to show good or bad network performance, but I suspect so far it's illustrating good, as the minimum latency is around 12 m/sec, average around 15 m/sec, and the maximum has mostly small spikes of around 20-30 m/sec, with some 40-60 m/sec, since I set it up around 08:00 this morning. Looking at the Network Log, there have been no entries today at all, not am I aware of any disconnections, not that I've used the PC much today. As far as I can see, there are no red indications of dropped packets.

So now I'll wait and see if the BQM display changes and whether this coincides with any Network Log entries.

Again thanks for you excellent advice.

BQM now shows high latency and packet loss at times when the Network Log shows series of reports. But not sure what now to do with the information or the BQM graph. Can you help please?

Thanks for your replies and updates, JayEnBee.  I'll send you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

@JayEnBee wrote:

BQM now shows high latency and packet loss at times when the Network Log shows series of reports. But not sure what now to do with the information or the BQM graph. Can you help please?

To post up the live graph:

Log in to the ThinkBroadband site - go to tools --> Broadband quality Monitoring --> My list of BQMs --> CLick on your BQM link --> Under the graph click on Share Live Graph --> Copy and paste the Direct link

It should look like this:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/be7ffade96f0ac49844200615aea66a138bd122c

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

BQM Graph for the time when errors were reported in the Network Log;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1207dbe4eb7ffce1f2d8ac477feb958625...

Brilliant! - that worked and you can clearly see the dropouts! - Just need VM to sort it out now!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Sorry to comment on your post from some time ago, What was the issue? I Have the same logs and drop ous, Virgin claim no fault. Ive set up a monitor to send to them tomorrow. Clear packet loss / Frame drops on my line. I Stream daily and its almost starting to feel like im been Ddossed.