Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SIP blocked, Discord blocked, Steam often failing to connect

Hi,

I've recently moved into a property and SIP is disabled. Would it be possible to get this fixed?

Secondly, Discord & Steam seem to be blocked on this connection too. I can tether the same device to my phone, and these services work normally again. I can also connect a corporate VPN & steam/discord work normally again on the Virgin connection.

However, I shouldn't need to connect to a VPN just to access normal services. Why would these be blocked on a Fibre connection? Is this setting determined at the ISP level, or is someone with admin access to the router messing with me? Did I miss the memo about net neutrality or something?

I've tried all the obvious things, as I work in IT for a living - but in my experience this is very likely being blocked by the ISP

Thanks in advance

Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SIP blocked, Discord blocked, Steam often failing to connect

Have you disabled websafe?
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi jb

Unfortunately since I'm a tenant I don't have admin access to my router. I would have loved to log in and check.

I also dont think it's anything to do with Websafe - since certain [adult] sites work normally & there's never been children in the house. I could be mistaken though

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is a section called virus safe, ive seen that cause issues with VPN and torrents. I might be wrong but it might be worthwhile asking who is in charge of your broadband to log into there account and disable all blocks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Websafe is actually part of the online account and the account holder will need to contact VM to get that disabled.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input guys.

Considering the VPN actually fixes the issue in this case, and adult websites work normally. Would that not imply that websafe is already disabled?

I will ask my landlord and see what can be done. My hands seem pretty tied at the moment, since I can't log in anywhere

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can turn off childsafe but still enable virus safe
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

There are two parts of websafe that being child safe and also virus safe, as well as the hub having a firewall, it is going too be impossible to troubleshoot any problems if you don't have access to with hub or the account, as changes can only be done with the account holder due to GDPR.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Benpls wrote:

Thanks for your input guys.

Considering the VPN actually fixes the issue in this case, and adult websites work normally. Would that not imply that websafe is already disabled?

I will ask my landlord and see what can be done. My hands seem pretty tied at the moment, since I can't log in anywhere

VPN would route you differently and presumably give you a different DNS which is why it works on VPN

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys,

Just an update on this one - I spoke to Virgin media on the phone (4th time lucky) and after some investigation, they're shipping a new router out - since the one we have is too old to support this functionality apparently.

Unfortunately I haven't got a quick fix for those with a similar issue, but a VPN might get you around these blocks for the time being.

Many thanks all & kudos given for your efforts

Ben

0 Kudos