Menu
narc1999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SH4- unable to hide SSID

Woke up this morning to find none of my devices could connect to the SH4. Odd..

And the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz SSID's had been reverted to the old network name from when the SH4 was first installed (I'd changed them manually to something else).

Finally, I am no longer able to switch 'Broadcast SSID' to 'no'. 

Checking the Network Log I received an update last night.

So.. I suspect the update has switched off the ability to turn off SSID broadcast and reverted my network names back to the presets. Fortunately, I was around to resolve or the kids would have missed a day of 'Internet school'.

Anyone else had this?

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH4- unable to hide SSID

Not seen this.

But then again, as soon as i got my SH4, i put into modem mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@narc1999 wrote:

And the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz SSID's had been reverted to the old network name from when the SH4 was first installed (I'd changed them manually to something else).

Checking the Network Log I received an update last night.  <snip>

Anyone else had this?

I believe VM are pushing out a new firmware to work with the new VM ( Plume ) wifi pods.  My Hub 3 was updated a couple of days ago, but I use Modem mode so didn't notice any changes.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@narc1999 wrote:

Checking the Network Log I received an update last night.

So.. I suspect the update has switched off the ability to turn off SSID broadcast and reverted my network names back to the presets. Fortunately, I was around to resolve or the kids would have missed a day of 'Internet school'.

Anyone else had this?

Why would you want to hide the SSID? It’s actually no more secure than having it broadcasting.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
narc1999
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

With someone who knows what they're doing with something like Aircrack etc. I'd agree but in the majority of cases, its enough to keep your network out of the awareness of neighbours etc.

What I think is more interesting is that this is clearly a choice on VM's part to disable the option AND when it's been implemented, its reset my router settings back to factory.

Time to consider a proper router.. any recommendations?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You don’t even need to be skilled to do it. Anyone with a Wifi scanner can do it and get the MAC address etc.

Look at getting a router from the likes of ASUS. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@narc1999 wrote:

Time to consider a proper router.. any recommendations?

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos