cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SH4 - 2.4GHz wifi not visible to any devices

johnnyboyc_uk
On our wavelength

Bit of a weird one this - have had the problem since I got the hub a few weeks back, but have put up with it until now; now it's irritating the beejeezus out of me.

The issue is that the 2.4GHz wireless 'doesn't work', that is, no devices that use that frequency will pick up the network.  5GHz is absolutely fine, it's just the 2.4.

I've tried a factory reset, fiddled with Wireless mode (802.11 blah blah blah), changed the channel it's using, and tinkered with the channel width.  Nothing makes any difference.

My ASUS USB adapter on my PC doesn't pick 2.4GHz up, but it'll happily show the 5GHz details, likewise with my TP-Link network extender.  To these devices, the 2.4Ghz frequency is a no-no.

Do I need a replacement hub?

24 REPLIES 24

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Are your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands named differently to differentiate the two?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

I think I tried them with different names before, but just to make sure I just tried changing the 2.4Ghz SSID once again.  No difference.

Thanks for your post @johnnyboyc_uk, can you please advise me if you've attempted a pin hole reset on the hub to see if this allows you to connect to both bands on the hub?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I don't think I've tried that yet David, but I'll give it a go when something like that will be less of an annoyance to all and sundry in the house 🙂

Hi David, tried the pinhole method and the hub is still misbehaving.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johnnyboyc_uk wrote:

Hi David, tried the pinhole method and the hub is still misbehaving.

Try a 60 second pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello, tried the 'longer duration' pinhole reset method, and things are still the same.  I still have no 2.4Ghz wireless network.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @johnnyboyc_uk 

Thank you for your post. 

I am sure you have already checked but could you check the GUI & make sure that that the 2.4ghz is turned on. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

g0akc
Problem sorter

Try using a free wifi analyser app and check if the 2.4GHz signal (SSID/Network name) is present.

See if there's a neighbouring hub on the same channel.

Try changing the 2.4 GHz channel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!