Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SH3 drops packets in modem mode, subpar speed in router mode

I have (had) a router set up connecting to my SH3 in modem mode.

Throughput and latency was fine - 500 down, 37 up, 7ms with minimal jitter - but I was noticing 10-20% packet loss pinging the default gateway from my own router and devices attached to it. To be clear, I have SSH access to my router and was pinging from it directly, bypassing my own local network.

I of course tried rebooting the SH3, as well as using a different cable between my router and the SH3, which didn't help.

I then put the SH3 into router mode and connected to it directly from my machine and observed the packet loss went away. So I configured the SH3 to use a different IP range and reconnected my router. The packet loss stayed away.

However, I'm now noticing it struggling to attain the full download speed of 500 Mbps. I get about 450, where in modem mode I got 550.

Since I have no choice but to use the SH3 to use VM's network instead of being able to replace it with a modem of my choice which would be a fantastic solution were it available, is there a solution here?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 drops packets in modem mode, subpar speed in router mode

With a wired connection? 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, all wired.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try having a PC/laptop only connected to the hub and change to modem mode see if you get packet loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos