Menu
chenks
Community elder
Message 21 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 - Modem Mode and Own equipement not supported???

nonsense. they do support modem mode, you are either choosing to misunderstand it or the person who told you didn't understand what they were saying.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 22 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@derfer wrote:

Sorry - no confusion.

When in modem mode my hub downloads updates upto 10 times a day, during the download my internet goes off (10-15 minutes at a time). This happens even when nothing is plugged into the hub (i.e. not my connected equipment).

Virgin Media say this isn't a fault, and if I want my hub to work I have to put it into hub mode, hence they don't support modem mode.

Its nonsense.  You say the Hub is downloading updates 10 times a day - no it isn't - its probably got the rebooting bug they often develop.  Try a pinhole reset without restarting the Hub that often clears it.  If not put it in Router mode and then if it continues to do it call in and get it replaced.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@derfer wrote:

Sorry - no confusion.

When in modem mode my hub downloads updates upto 10 times a day, during the download my internet goes off (10-15 minutes at a time). This happens even when nothing is plugged into the hub (i.e. not my connected equipment).

Virgin Media say this isn't a fault, and if I want my hub to work I have to put it into hub mode, hence they don't support modem mode.

Sorry but absolutely this is not true, oh and I can almost guarantee you really weren’t talking to an engineer earlier on the phone for an hour, it was a customer services drone person and there’s an excellent chance that they had no idea whatsoever what modem mode even was and just wanted to get you off the line to tick up another closed call.

Your hub is not updating ten times a day, it’s falling over and resetting, probably due to a dodgy connection, so we need to get that looked at for you, despite what you might have been told, this patently IS a fault. Can you get the upstream and downstream statistics along with the network logs, and post them up here and we can see if anything obviously stands out - just take care to remove any MAC addresses or IP addresses which can identify you beforehand? I see from your posts that you had a similar issue back at the end of last year and they sent you a new hub which has apparently been fine up to now - I’m going to hazard a guess there was an underlaying issue which the newer hub was better able to cope with but has been steadily getting worse until it’s all fallen over completely. 

John

0 Kudos