Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Running wired connection for games room, which CAT cable would you recommend

Hi all

I want to run a wired connection into our games room to get the strongest possible connection for the new XSX & PS5 consoles coming out rather than using WiFi.

The cable run is approx 24m from the router and looking online for cable suggestions there are mentions of getting the best cable available that you can afford to future proof it (which I do agree with) but then would it be worth getting CAT7a cable if it's not needed as it's not as flexible and will be a bit more difficult to run. 

I get that CAT7a is ideal if you have longer runs but would CAT5e make that much difference over that length? I've the 500MB Virgin.

TIA

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Running wired connection for games room, which CAT cable would you recommend

Hello

For the distance of 24m Cat 5e or Cat 6 will be suitable going to Cat 7 is over kill, as Cat 5e / 6 is will maintain 1gbps over lengths upto 100m.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Running wired connection for games room, which CAT cable would you recommend

Mike is right - I will add that the other advantage of Cat6 cable usually has better " shielding" from crosstalk and electrical interference. So check the specs of the cable for that too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

One thing to consider, you really need solid cored copper cable. A lot of ready made leads use multistranded wire which is really only useful for patch cables.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos