Menu
mork23
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Running new VM connection alongside existing DSL

Hi,

I've decided to retain my DSL connection once my new VM connection is installed.  With my wife and I now permanently based from home and the kids doubling our needs it's useful to have a backup and I thought of dedicated the DSL connection (from Vodafone) for gaming due to the supposed more response latency connectivity.  My query is, am I going to create all sorts of issues having two lots of WIFI feeds so close to each other?  I'm looking to use a MESH WIFI for the VM connection which I don't believe you can select channels for (the whole purpose, right?) so I'm assuming if I retain my current DSL router settings the MESH should just work itself out?  

Appreciate any input on this.  Any potential show stoppers or suggested actions to help.  TIA

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Running new VM connection alongside existing DSL

You having two WiFi sources is no different than you competing with your neighbours’ WiFi.

Here’s my contention with my neighbours:

73496EB3-F467-49B4-804D-19B4718C4AF9.png

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

depends how much RF interference you already have in the area..

in theory, the two networks should automatically sort themselves out so that they use different channels - but this is dependent on the quality/features of the router/mesh units you use and also on how many other networks are competing for airtime in your vicinity.. 

you could use something like inSSIDer to have a look at the number of networks around you, this will only give you a picture of the number of networks competing for airtime, but not the utilisation of each band - so it's just a bit of a "flinch test". 

You could, ofcourse, invest in a mesh that provides dual-wan features (failover, loadbalancing) and possibly policy based routing (i.e. "all traffic from my gaming PC & ps5, send out the adsl link") but this is obviously a little more advanced and something you should check your desired router/mesh system supports.. in this scenario, you'd just have one wireless network (the mesh network) and the mesh making decisions about which gateway to use.. 

0 Kudos
mork23
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses.  I'm tempted to cable from the DSL router and turn off the WIFI to help.  I'm only looking at hard wiring a few devices - XBOX, PC, etc so that may help with congestion.

0 Kudos