cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish WiFi connection

Fatboyslimfast
Joining in

We've moved from BT to VM for our Broadband/Phone.

One single BT router replaced with VM's. 

We're having problems with poor connections in some rooms and some devices that even lose the WiFi connection - this didn't happen before with BT's router.

Is there anything I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder
You could try splitting out your wifi bands and disabling WiFi optimisation / Smart . Intelligent Wifi:

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

lotharmat
Community elder
You could try splitting out your wifi bands and disabling WiFi optimisation / Smart . Intelligent Wifi:

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are connections all good when situated near the Hub and they start to fall off/drop as yiou move further away from it ?

Are ethernet cable connected devices ok - if you dont know - can you check

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free (so worth trying)  to “some customers” (those on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages) but others  will be charged £5/month and right now they are in short supply due to supply issues

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

Did you not have BT's whole home wifi package (for an extra £10/month)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Fatboyslimfast,

Sorry to hear that you have been having wifi connection issues. How has things been since your post? Did the advice from our fellow forum members help?
I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

Fatboyslimfast
Joining in

** UPDATE **

I have had to get a VM engineer out to look at the problem.

He has fitted an attenuator to the router. This has improved download speeds. Apparently this check should have been made and done when the cable & router was installed in my premises.

At the same time I asked him to separate the bands (2.4/5 GHz) of the router to help maximise the WiFi speeds around my home, as others suggested.

The more realistic test will be this Monday, when there are more devices connected etc. but fingers crossed.

Hi there @Fatboyslimfast

Thank you so much for updating us and I am so happy to see the engineer could help with this, though I'm so sorry to hear this wasn't handled sooner! 

Please do monitor this situation and let us know how you get on! Should you have any further issues we will be more than happy to look into it! 

Thank you.