Menu
Deano1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Router

Had an issue with my hub 3 overheating and cutting out and engineer attended and stated it was [down to to many devices connected causing the hub 3 to overheat and shutdown he subjected edted we split the bandwidth to two networks 1 5G and 1 2.4g this then knocked out the int intelligence WiFi pods Virgin have today said that the WiFi pods wouldn’t connect if the network was split the other suggestion the engineer gave was to purchase a 3rd party router with capacity of running more devices and turn the hub 3 into a modem. Virgin have said this will fix the issue however they were unsure if the intelligent WiFi pods would work under these circumstances can anyone help please 

Edit: Would this router work 

ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 Router 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YX0534PXM6GC3CQB8JFJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=...

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router

If you get your own, superior, routing solution; you won't need the pods!

To be honest though - if too many connected devices can cause a hub to overheat - the hub is faulty and should be swapped! (Or the engineer is, how can I put this... Being disingenuous!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The new "Pods" will not work with a third party router as they are paired with VM kit.  As for too many devices connected to a Hub causes overheating??  Can't say I've ever heard that one before!   If you have so many bits of kit, as stated previously, you would be better off investing in your own IT kit and run the Hub in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Deano1972
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your speedy reply. Would you be able to tell me if this router would work with the hub 3 if it where in modem mode

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WFL15D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YX0534PXM6GC3CQB8JFJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=...

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can't see why not - It'll be a massive improvement over the Hub!

0 Kudos
Deano1972
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again for your speedy reply. About the intelligence pods, we spoke to someone from virgin this morning and they said that the pods would work with the router. But the main consensus is that they won't. I wouldn't suppose you know for definite if they will work or not.

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No - They have to pair with VM Kit!

0 Kudos
Deano1972
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the Asus you linked too is an excellent wifi router and will work fine for you. If you get it set it up this way/......

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it.

Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP & Nat mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable into the VM hub. NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connectionaftre a few minutes initialisation. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos