Menu
Chireg69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Router to go with hub3 question

The back bedroom and dining room are currently struggling to get wifi signal from my hub 3. For about 30 quid I can get a tp-link archer c50 1200. Would this be an improvement on the hub 3 and then just put that in modem mode? It's not a big house. I don't  mind paying more if you don't think it would work. My plan is to buy it from argos and if it's no good take it back and get something better. I know there are other options like mesh etc and powerline but the upstairs of the house only has one single plug socket in each room. If a new better router can sort the problem then great

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router to go with hub3 question

What speed package are you on? I will bet that the c30 will only have 10/100 ethernet ports - so you will never get above 100Mbps. That may not be an issue of course - but I would future-proof for fast speeds.

If you still want to go "cheap" look at these "faster" options...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-AC10U-1200Mbps-Dual-band-Power-saving/dp/B07C7Y9G96/

https://www.alza.co.uk/zyxel-nbg6615-d5481208.htm?o=1

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It'll work for sure, but I wouldn't expect more than about 50 - 70 mbps from it as it seems not too powerful, it's probably fine for a DSL based broadband. If you decide to try one, make sure you can return it if it's too slow. 

Something like a D-Link DIR‑2660 will be far more powerful, reach further with the WiFi, support more devices, and be able to max out a 100mbps connection easily (and probably higher speeds). 

Chireg69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. It's for a 100mb line which at times just drops out completely in the back bedroom so 60 to 70mb would be great if it was constant.

I've also seen the archer v6 for an extra tenner so maybe that is an option too. 

It's for my daughters new house really but was easier to explain as though it was my own.

I think if she went from intermittent to permanently 60mb she'd be happy with that!

0 Kudos
Chireg69
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've also accidentally put those two replies as solved answers when I meant to put thumbs up. Lol

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Before jumping in to buying. You started by saying it was a speed issue and now you have said "drops out completely". That might be a network connection issue rather than wifi - can you troubleshoot it some more.

At the same time as it drops completely in the back bedroom - does it remain connected on a device close to the hub or does that drop too? Can you test that first?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Chireg69
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It never drops off in any of the other rooms, the lounge where the hub3 is has never dropped off. I think she only says it completely goes off when using zoom or a video call for work. Because of this happening she started doing the calls in the lounge and it never cuts off. 

There isn't anything at all attached via ethernet at the moment. Basically zoom works fine near to router but stops and starts in the back bedroom. This is what makes me think it's more to do with the wifi range.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Chireg69
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The hub lights stay the same, a white light

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Chireg69 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. It's for a 100mb line which at times just drops out completely in the back bedroom so 60 to 70mb would be great if it was constant.

OK, but don't put the hub into modem mode, just leave it in the normal router mode. That way you can use both WiFi networks. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK should be fine then.

Does she plan to have the new router near the Hub or connect it on a longer etherenet cable upstairs somewhere?

If near the Hub then whether the new signal will reach will depend on many features such as.... distance to back room, what building material does signal have to pass through e.g. how many, stone walls or brick walls or plasterboard walls, floors, ceilings, steel joists, etc,etc - and also on the power/quality of whatever wifi router you get and where you position it.

On the other hand for ~£45 you may say WTH just get one with good reviews and just go for it 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------